Where to buy a flitch beam?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by harv80, Sep 20, 2017.

1. harv80

harv80 New Member

Hi, I am intending removing a load bearing internal wall and looking for a supplier for the flitch beam that will be required. I had a structural engineer work out all the necessary calculation and I now just need to know where to buy a flitch beam from?

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

So what was the engineers calculations?

3. harv80

harv80 New Member

Don't have them to hand. I am out of the house. Can you help with my query above?

4. Trying to remember back more than a decade when I had a few of these fitted.

I think the builders chose flitch to be lighter and easier to handle than steels.

I also think I recall them bolting them together on site - the steel plates arrived pre-drilled (I think) and they used this as a guide to the holes through the timbers. So the whole thing was easily handled by two folk.

The timbers would likely have come from a local builders' merchants, and most likely the plates too. On the same Ind Estate there's a metalworks so they could easily have drilled the plates for them - although there's a chance these holes were done on site too by our builders.

Bottom line - if you go to a builders' merchants and ask, they will tell you what to do; you won't be the first to order a flitch.

5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Metalworker for the plate, a couple of extra timbers on the timber order.

Note that plates are not standard and your SE should have given you a detail showing plate size, hole size and locations.