Which Chainsaw?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by ruth harling, Jan 13, 2014.

1. ruth harling

ruth harling New Member

We have several overgrown self-seeded cherries/plums which have gone wild in a hedge and we need to fell them. We don't want to spend a fortune on a chainsaw which probably won't get much use after this job has been done, can anyone suggest a reliable not too expensive 'starter' machine please? The largest trunk is about 1ft in diameter.

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

based on the fact that a chainsaw might not get used for another 12 months, by which time the fuel will have gone off and the filter will need cleaning, and the rings will be stuck - I'd recommend a Irwin Jack Universal 20'' and a hearty breakfast

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

4. ashtreefarm

ashtreefarm New Member

Within your budget to buy a chainsaw you should allow for the following:-
    Safety helmet to EN 397.
    Hearing protection to EN 352-1.
    Eye protection: Mesh visors to EN 1731 or safety glasses to EN 166.
    Upper body protection: Chainsaw jackets to BS EN 381-11.
    Gloves: to EN 381-7.
    Leg protection to EN 381-5.
    Chainsaw boots to BS EN ISO 20345:2004 bearing a shield depicting a chainsaw to show compliance with EN 381-3. Or for occasional use working on even ground, protective gaiters conforming to EN 381-9 worn in combination with steel-toe-capped safety boots.
    Or
    Contact a “reputable” tree surgeon who will chip/log all the branches/trunks should you want to keep them or remove all the debris once felled.

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

6. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Just aswell none of that applies to the DIY MARKET

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Go your local hire shop, you will get the PPE in with the hire cost, if you hire for a weekend, you shouldn't be looking at more than £30/35.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Phil, you can't hire a chainsaw these days due to health and safety regs - not a diy'er anyway

A friend of mine recently tried to hire one as a large tree came down in his garden and he was thinking of tackling it himself (probably with me as well)

Funny really as anyone can buy one but you can't hire, although other dangerous equipment is available !

9. Phil the Paver

I bought one of these to cut down 3 large conifirs in my garden and have since cut 2 trees down at my sisters, it has been a good saw for the money, i paid less than the price below and it came with chain oil, two stroke oil, gloves and goggles.

http://www.gardenlines.co.uk/chains...yobi-rcs3535cb-petrol-chainsaw-35cc---14-inch

10. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

11. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

HSS hire them?

12. Phil the Paver

As do my hire shop, but I didn't what to say that, because it could have been that they know I'm trade.

13. ashtreefarm

ashtreefarm New Member

Hi Wiggy could you please explain why this PPE is not applicable to the DIY MARKET?

14. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

are you serious, how many diy ers do you see wearing viz and steels while doing jobs around the house, its not applicable, common sense is………..

15. ashtreefarm

ashtreefarm New Member

This lady has requested some advise about purchasing a "chainsaw", who knows the competence of these individuals? Certainly not trade and definietly no idea of the harm one of these machines can do.
    Others have posted their replies based on their knowledge/experience and nobody had mentioned PPE.
    The point I was trying to make was basically don't bother and engage the services of a qualified tree surgeon.
    You may want to check out the PPE screwfix recommends for using a chainsaw, all complying to the standards.
    Or do we just say to the DIYer's out there, PPE don't bother waste of money, you don't need it, its not applicable to you....advice is free, you don't have to adhere to it.

16. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I get where you are coming from mate, but to quote all those BS/EN numbers, is probably a bit much for your average diy person and I am sure most trades don't even compile to theses standards to cut down the odd branch or small tree. I am not having a dig.

Maybe diy ers should adhere to the H&S that we have too and then there would be more work for us.

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I did say in my post that a DIY'ER can't hire a chainsaw
    You have to be working in the building, construction, etc, industry and show some form of proof of this

I did tell my mate this whilst he was attempting to hire a chainsaw just a couple of weeks ago
    He tried several independent and also national hire shops and was told the same by all

I'm sure that the pros on here can hire one, whatever your trade. If you wear PPE or not, it's your decision
    Good advice to the diy'ers as well, obviously this can only be recommended, not enforced

18. Mark McLoughlin

Mark McLoughlin New Member

Hi Ruth without knowing what your budget is its a hard question. I personally have a cordless chainsaw from warrior eco power equipment which I am quite pleased with, cost was what I would consider reasonable. It's quite light and easy to use. The battery lasts long enough to do most small jobs and charges quickly. I made the purchase after watching this review on youtube, which I found quite useful. I imagine nowadays most of the cordless chainsaws are pretty much the same kind of quality so gives you a good idea in what to expect. The guy reviewing normally uses a stihl 012 petrol chainsaw so its a good comparison between the 2 different versions. Hope this helps.

19. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

I’m sure Ruth is a chainsaw expert now she’s had 6 years experience?

Lucy Gardner and Mark McLoughlin like this.
  20. Mark McLoughlin

Mark McLoughlin New Member

Sheesh I didnt even see the date :( But as you say I'm sure by now she is o_O

Jimmycloutnail likes this.