Which compact 'heat only' boiler would you recommend ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by sorethumb, Sep 29, 2015.

1. sorethumb

sorethumb Member

Are there any condensing 'heat only' boilers currently on the market that are similar in physical size to the extremely compact Potterton Suprima (40L). It's for my daughter's small terraced house for which I thought a WB Greenstar 12ri would be suitable but she'd like something matching the Potterton for physical size if poss. Many thanks for any responses.

2. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Look at the Intergas. That seems small enough.

3. steverod

steverod New Member

Ferroli Modena with only 4 moving parts?

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Vaillant EcoTec 412, they are now EPC ready which is a requirement as from the 26th September. Those others mentioned probably won't be, and I would strongly advise avoiding a Ferroli as there support network is very poor.
    You wont get a boiler as small as the Suiprima, it was probably the smallest boiler ever produced and that size cant be replicated in a HE boiler.
    Funny enough Im replacing one tomorrow putting a Vaillant in and the owner will be able to put his cupboard back after minor modification.

5. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Vaillant support is not glowing these days.

6. Dave does Gas

It is if your an Advance partner, they look after their approved installers first, and rightly so.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Valliant.:)

[​IMG]

8. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

They should look after everyone equally.

9. Dave does Gas

They do provided their appliances are fitted by their approved installers, that way their customers get the best of both worlds, an instalation and commission thats been done correctly and a 10 year warranty back up.
    If Freds Plumbing from down the pub fits it he may not work to the same standard and the instalation could be faulty so they only offer a two year warranty.
    This also deters Mr DIY I can play with gas even though I dont have a clue from fitting them.

KIAB likes this.
  10. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

They do not as they give priority to approved installers. The money they get from an approved installer or not approved is still the same money with the Queen on it.

Freds Plumbing from down the pub may work to a higher standard than approved Vaillant installers. She should be Gas Safe.

The approved scheme by makers has nothing to do with quality or deterring DIYers, which BTW is legal. It is to do with selling more boilers. Installers are noted for "I always fit this make".

11. Dave does Gas

They certainly do give priority to registered installers, we have a set of numbers to their tecnical and support network that joe public does not have and funnily enough its call a priority line which strangely enough does give us priority both in speed of answering the call and a guaranteed engineer visit within 24 hours of a call.

Thats very true but as their not aproved by the company they cannot offer the benifits an installer who has been trained by them can

Thats very debatable and I think you would lose your case in a court of law when confronted by evidence from the HSE.
    And its not a point I wish to debate with you as I have seen your standpoint and we have to agree to disagree.

Again a misconception most installers will have a range of boiler manufacturers they prefer to suit both their clients budget and property type taken from experience, unlike you who can only plug intergas for whatever reason.

12. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

It is not debatable at all. The law clearly says it is legal. Get used to it. Click my signature.

13. steverod

steverod New Member

You're not any relation to John Harrison (DIY Not pedant) are you?

14. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

I don't go to DIY Doughnuts. I like sanity. You obviously go into insanity. You should stop that.

15. steverod

steverod New Member

I'm not so sure about that, there's too many similarities between what you post on here and the Drivel that's Googled, cut and pasted on the other sites

Thanks for your concern about my sanity though. I assure you that mine is completely normal. You ought to try that one day, who knows you may like it...

16. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Most insane people think they are sane. Get it sorted. The NHS can do it free. A DIY Doughnut coming over here spreading insanity. This has to be stopped.

17. steverod

steverod New Member

You're John Harrison's other split personality aren't you. You even use the same insults. Admit it, no one will be cross and you won't get sent to your room with no supper.

And remind me again of your take on the law regarding DIY gasworks please.

Dave does Gas likes this.
  18. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

You are some cranky idiot. Run along now and get therapy.