Which compact system filter

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Teki, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

I'm looking to fit a system filter under the boiler however, it has to be compact as there isn't much room. I know the Fernox TF1 is highly recommended by most in the trade, but what is the compact version like?

http://www.fernox.com/equipment/filters/tf1+compact+filter

I have also looked at these models:

Sentinel Eliminator Nano
    http://www.sentinelprotects.com/uk/products/domestic/central-heating-systems/eliminator-nano

Magnaclean Micro
    http://www.adey.com/installers/filters/magnaclean-micro

SpiroTrap MB3
    http://www.spirotrapmb3.co.uk/

Thanks.

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Not Much to choose between them to be honest but if you look at the Magnaclean Pro2 you dont need much head room to remove the magnet as the entire body can be removed for cleaning very easily.

3. I don't know anything about these individually, but I would recommend trying to find one that also filters out non-magnetisable particles.

I understand they do this by 'swirling' the the system water around, a bit like in a Dyson, so's they get centrifuged out. Tho' I have no idea how effective that is. (Probably not very...)

Read as many reviews as you can about each, but be wary of really 'glowing' ones, or reviews that **** off the opposition.

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I believe these gizmos have moved into the health and beauty palours now, they stick a tube up your jacksie and connect it to a similar sort of pump, it cleans out your 'tubes' removes all the toxins and filters the acids so your insides are as clean new,
    Its amazing what people will pay for if you have the sales banter and slight of hand ,o_O

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Once you understand that, the gizmo from the beauty parlour is not available from the NHS , you have to PAY to have it done, then you're on your way to understanding why fernox,sentinel and other filter manufactures are about, its called Codoligy,
    there's nothing new about codoligy men have been codding folks since the middle ages,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codpiece

6. Well, that was an education... :eek:

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I could give lectures on codoligy i'm a lifetime observer and studier of it, its all around us but its aimed at readers, that's why I'm unaffected i don't read very much,
    take the codoligist who set petrol prices, in 2007/8 petrol rose to almost £1.50 per litre, because nearly all stuff on supermarket shelves is transported by wagons the cost of bread,milk,food etc rose accordingly, but now the price of fuel is dropping, is the food prices dropping ? NO,
    so they're codding us again,:(

8. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

SpiroTrap MB3
    http://www.spirotrapmb3.co.uk/
    Buy this.I is made of brass and does the job very well filtering all debris in the system. Put a full bore valve each side of the filter. The rest are plastic with flimsy valves thrown in.

Spiro have made filters for decades.

Put one on an existing system. Put X900 in the system and do not drain the X900. This releases all the crud and the filter catches it. Empty the filter every few days until clean, make sure X100 is in the system.

Teki likes this.
  9. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

The disadvantages of the Spirotrap MB3 are that you cannot dose the system with cleaner or inhibitor and it also doesn't come with isolation valves. What happens when the spiral mesh becomes clogged?

I believe British Gas push the Spirotraps as they have bought quite a few of them!

I like the concept of the Quadra-Cyclone Technology® that the Sentinnel filters offer?

Can X900 be added with X100?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

NOOOOoooooooooooo save your money Mr Devs, get 3x 12 packs of carling from asda £20, it works out at 55p per 440ml can, its the cure for all problems ,:)

plumberboy likes this.
  11. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

:p:p:p:p:p:cool:

12. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

mrs plum's under the weather at the moment, touch of the flu I suspect, she's got me running about to the chemist for cough medicine,vick rub it on stuff,paracetamol,lemsips, tissues, the chemist shop is laughing cos the monies rollin' in, the mrs feels she needs the stuff but we ALL know, there's no cure you just gotta ride it out, it don't stop the chemists telling us different though,I was watching an advert were this guy has flu and he takes some suderfed, ten minutes later he's cured,<<<kinell>>> and folks beleve it and buy suderfed,??????? it's not worked on mrs plum,
    and its a similar thing with sentinel/ fernox, it cures nothing :oops:

13. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Give Mrs Plum some Carling Tom that will sort her out.:)

14. I think what I'll need is a cup of hot cocoa - to warm me up when my fluffing boiler packs in 'cos I didn't use X-whatevevs.

15. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

You must have a filter with X900, that is what it is designed for.

16. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

a filter is designed to take money from boiler owners, x900 is made with the same purpose in mind so they do make a good combination, :D

I know, oh yes, :rolleyes:

17. Tsk, Mr Plum :).

Look, I don't know for absolute certain whether additives and filters are gawd's gift to clean systems. I cannot say with 100% certainty that it is a cure-all, or anything like.

But what I can say, tho', from my own personal experience, is that X800 cleared my partially-blocked PtoP exchanger and saved me a couple of £undred. And it did this painlessly. Next to zero effort.

And I can say, from my own personal experience, that my Magnaclean has removed - and continues to remove - a sizeable dollop* of black sludge from my system with the help of first X800 and now X400 - and soon to be X900 (lawd, I hope Sentinel stop...)

*A 1/8th to 1/4 inch thick coating 3 or 4 times so far. Much less now - last time it was only a layer around a mm thick.

I've bought of of them new 'sheaths' tho' so's it'll supposedly catch non-magnet grub too. Cannae wait...:oops:

18. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

These filters are essential in combis to prevent the plate heat Xs from blocking. Wilo pumps only like clean water as dirt can affect the carbon bearings. The three way valves only like clean water. They really do protect the boilers - and the rest of the system.