Which screws to fix a creaking floor?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jorg13, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Jorg13

Jorg13 New Member

I just bought a flat and took all the carpets out. I'll fit laminate but while I have the chance I want to fix the subfloor (wood boards, 1st floor flat) which creaks quite badly.

The boards are currently nailed down and the space between the nails is quite big.
    I was thinking to just follow the joists and add a lot of screws in a 5 inch distance.

Are decking screws the right ones? Like these:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/timbadeck...teel-decking-screws-4-5-x-65mm-100-pack/63958

What is the common depth for a subfloor board?

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Decking screws are quite brittle so heads can sheer off (don't ask how I know), I'd use Reisser cutters, probably 2"/50mm depending how thick the boards are.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Also check that there is no covenant regarding fitting laminate floor due to sound transmission to flat below. Surprisingly common.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

When you say 'space between nails is quite big' , do you mean width of board or along its length ?

Boards are usually fixed with 1 fixing at each side, but yes, should be secured at every joist

Often over the years when boards are lifted for electrical and plumbing works, they're put back down poorly with split boards, stupid short lengths resting on 25mm of joist and less fixings than originally used

Good idea to sort floor at this stage - well worth investment in terms of time and money

Replace any damaged or short lengths where they are supported just by 1 joist at either end

Screws are better than nails for sure, although nails were always used in the past, cut nails often, but screws are also easier to remove should boards need lifting in the future

Use screws where the thread stops 20mm or so before the head. This allows the board to be pulled super tight to the joist

As always, be very careful regarding services under floorboard and adding additional fixings - X-Ray eyes would be useful in this situation :)

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Reissser cutters do a 5mm part thread screw (top 30mm not threaded) at length of 55mm and longer.

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Fixed a very squeaky floor for my mates parents a few years back. They'd put up with it for 30 yrs, but a few hours and 500 screws later, was totally squeak free, they couldn't believe it! :D

longboat likes this.
  7. diy_dave

diy_dave New Member

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

9. Jorg13

Jorg13 New Member

I was actually gonna ask about that. Was thinking of pre drilling small holes so I don't split the joists.
    I bought a stud / wire finder too as I don't want to drill in any pipes or wires and make sure I hit the joist.

The nails are just quite far spaced on each board. The boards look fine and there are no gaps. Not all creak but many do. I'll fix them all though to be save for the future.
    I'll put soundproofing underlay down to reduce noise for the flat below. I think the creaking must be worse for them than the laminate could ever be haha.

So Riser Cutters or Floor Tite? :)

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Reissers are only slightly more expensive so I'd go with those, if I could find them at a local store. Your local SF might be more convenient though and hence go with the Floor Tite. Not a lot in it I think for this use, but I would expect the Reissers to perform better.

11. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Prob the best bit of advice on here. If there are pipes notched in to the joists and or electric cables within range of a screw sods law says you WILL hit them. If a plumber nailed the boards down to avoid the pipes, the pipes will be between the nails - just where you are going to screw!

Just a thought - If you are desperate to add more fixings and can't lift the floor first, although I've never used one, there are a lot of cheap endoscope cameras around now that link to your phone which might allow you to look under the boards first to check for services. e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Depstech-S...&qid=1505483765&sr=8-7&keywords=led+endoscope

13. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

The creaking is often caused by the board flexing and moving against/around the nail as the boards dry out and shrink slightly over time. Have a go first at resetting all the nails with a hammer and punch - at least you know you aren't going to hit any services that way. It sounds daft but a dusting of baby powder around the nails acts as a lubricant as well (similar to graphite dust in locks). Added bonus is that it has a very nostalgic smell.

If you need to add screws I use these - They're really expensive but really good. I just tell my clients that and they haven't let me down yet - the screws, not the clients.

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Unfortunately, and although it involves more work, using full-threaded screws is best.
    The top unthreaded part and the underside of a part-threaded screw head can squeak against the wood, especially if the wood shrinks only a small amount.
    With full thread, neither moves against each other.

15. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

But full thread risks the board being jacked up.if there is a slight gap it will still be there when the screw nips up. Best screws are proper flooring screws which have almost a plain section but with a short section of thread with a different pitch which pulls the boards together. Best of both worlds. I would never use a fully threaded screw for flooring.

Pollowick likes this.
  16. Mr. Handyandy

As I said, it's more work. If you ensure you apply enough pressure when screwing down, it should not create a gap. If it does, simply unwind and wind in again.

17. Pollowick

Rubbish.

With fully threaded you cannot guarantee to get the board and joist against each other.

18. Pollowick

RUBBISH. And how many times will you need to take screws in and out, 5, 10, 20 or more.

Part threaded or ones with two different threads which pull them together.

19. Mr. Handyandy

Well, none, if you apply enough pressure to keep the timbers together!

And I did say unfortunately involves more work! But it will guarantee the screws and boards don't squeak together.

20. Pollowick

You know that, I know that, and so do many others but there are some who deny it and wrongly say a full thread screw is best!.

Flooring screws, as you know are only part threaded - I wonder why they were designed that way?