Which tool for slicing protruding screws?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by MichaelW, Oct 26, 2016.

1. MichaelW

MichaelW New Member

Our garage roof is made of joists supporting boards, all wooden, and needs some woodworm treatment, but there are a bunch (~100 or so) screws protruding about 1cm down from the boards. The roof has recently been redone and I guess someone forgot to measure the board thickness when fitting it.

Anyway, my plan is to cut the excess screw tips off to get a flat surface that looks better, is easier to clean, and easier to treat the wood (and will take insulation better in the future) . My questions are:

1. is that a good plan or is there a better solution to get rid of these spikes?

2. what tool would be best? It's quite narrow in between the joists and I'm not sure I could get an angle grinder flat against the board (I want to cut the screws flush).

Thanks for any help.
    Mike

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Reciprocating saw with appropriate blade?

KIAB likes this.
  3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I think an angle grinder is the only way as most screws these days are hardened and very hard to saw, if on the other hand you intend to lay say Celotex over the roof timbers just leave them they will push into the insulation no problem.

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I have used a reciprocating saw with the right blade many times to cut screws and nails

tore81 likes this.
  5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

True with good access a power saw makes light work of it, but if he cannot get an short angle grinder in he will not have much luck with 2ft of reciprocating saw;)
    From what he describes a hacksaw blade in a pad saw handle might be the only option to cut flush to the underside of the board, OK for one odd nail but darn hard work and lots of broken blades for the number he has:)

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Short angle grinder only has a small amount of blade showing. Reciprocating saw has a much longer blade ;););)

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Shame the roof was redone without removing the infestation.

I'd remove it.

But small angle grinder will do the job. It doesn't have to be horizontal to make the cuts.

Or as said above, jab the jab straight up! o_O

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Screws should come out through the orherside of plywood by approx 20mm if they are holding insulation or a membrane in place, is so leave them as this is to help the roof being blown off by wind action, if not cut away.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A hammer works well.

10. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

snapem orf with pair of pliers in a leisurly fashion

11. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

If long enough tap them back and forth with a hammer or use a multi tool with a decent metal cutting blade.