Which water pump, confused

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mandyy, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Mandyy

Mandyy New Member

Hi, I have a combi maxi duo 33i installed, which i assumed getting the bigger combi that my water pressure would increase... of course now i know i was wrong... I had **** pressure in my shower..it's low pressure in the full house.... I am getting a shower installed into a loft room... so I am told the pressure will be even worse... can I use a water pump for the shower? if so how many bars would be enough... also would it be just as cheap getting a pump for the full house fitted under the sink or something so all taps ect had better water flow?? where would these need to be fitted depending on what option I choose.... of course cheaper the better lol

do I have to get a certain kind of shower to go with a pump or to go with a combi???

I have also been told by (betterbathroom live chat) that I do not need a pump because a combi has one built in... well obviously I need something because otherwise I am totally wasting money on a getting a shower that won't even work right because of water pressure....

I am very confused and thankful for any info offered
    thanks
    mandy

2. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

You need an accumulator installed if your pressure and flow is so poor,I'm surprised someone installed you a combi if the incoming main is of poor performance. The more you add to your system as it is the worse the performance will become,and shower pumps and whole house pumps can not be used on mains pressure water.
    Like I said above I would go for an accumulator for a greater system.

3. Mandyy

Mandyy New Member

Hi, thanks for your reply, I have had a quick google and there are lots of things come up when I type accumulator and prices range from under £100 to more than a £1000... could you please point me in the right direction as to which 1 I would need... I have a 3 bedroom house.....

just been talking to my brother and he said my actual flow rate downstairs isn't that bad... it's more so how bad it will be if I put a shower in the loft.... do I have any other options???

thanks
    mandy

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  4. plumberboy

What has your flow rate and pressure been measured at pre-installation of the combi?

5. Mandyy

Mandyy New Member

Nothing was measured... I had no idea it needed to be... I had a really old gas fire and back boiler that needed to come out so I got someone to fit a combi... he never mentioned anything about pressure... but to be honest I think before the combi it might have been just the slightest better flow.....

6. plumberboy

That's a poor show if the installer never did a flow reading when he quoted you for the combi as these rely on good flow rates for good performance. I think a accumulator is the way to go but get 3 quotes and get it sized to your needs and demand.;)

7. Mandyy

Mandyy New Member

I have another option, I could not install the extra shower in the loft and keep the one I already have in the bathroom.... which isn't the best flow but is usable.... (that is just an electric shower).... if I changed it to a power shower... would it improve the flow a little?? thanks

8. plumberboy

Hi Mandy.
    Electric showers aren't great at the best of times,a thermostatic shower mixer is miles better,,but only if you have good flow and this will be affected every time some one opens a tap when your in the shower,as you say you have poor flow which doesn't help you.
    As said before you can't boost with a shower pump because you are on a combi system and these pumps are meant for tank gravity feed system.
    Hope this helps you,but without seeing your system layout its very hard to say.;)

9. Mandyy

Mandyy New Member

thanks for your help.... looks like a thermostatic mixer shower is what I will get then.....

thanks again.