White Spirit or Brush Cleaner?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by BarryH, Oct 31, 2015.

1. BarryH

BarryH Member

Hope it's not to daft a question but is there any difference between using white spirit and a branded brush cleaner?

I'm going to be using oil based paint in a few days time and would like to get the brushes as clean as I possibly can when I clean up afterwards.

2. supertosh

supertosh Member

White spirit, or turps, is what is needed to clean oil brushes. Ive never used brush cleaner so cannot say whether it is better than spirits.

3. BarryH

BarryH Member

Thanks for the reply.

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I use both, white spirit first to get it as clean as possible, then brush cleaner, a good rinse out and sometimes if I am feeling really keen or it is one of my Purdy's a final clean with washing up liquid and a good wash out under the tap.
    I seldom clean oil brushes just store them in my Brushmate (will stay soft for months in there) so when I do need to clean I do a through job!:)

Link here to Brushmate if you do much oil painting it's the dogs do-dars!

http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.u...trade-4-/329?gclid=COLCn_XV78gCFQn4wgodIv0A2A

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

teabreak...we must be twins!

teabreak likes this.
  6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

:cool::cool::cool::)

7. BarryH

BarryH Member

Thanks again for all the help, really appreciated.

8. The main difference betwixt brush cleaner and white spirits is that the brush cleaner is designed to be washed out afterwards using water.

It's a bit like 'Swarfega' hand cleaner in that respect - it not only acts like a solvent on oil-based stuff to break it all up, but then allows it all to be washed of with water.

White spirits won't mix or be washed off with water, unless you perhaps add a detergent.

If Tea and Astra agree on the best cleaning method - and brush holder - then I'd make that the gospel :)

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Be sure though, some paints NEED a brush cleaner. White spirit/turps may not work.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Can you expand on that please HA so as not to confuse the OP?

11. Mr. Handyandy

I believe some Hammerite paints recommend a certain brush cleaner(like white spirit but different), as normal white spirit does not clean the brushes.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Hammerite need a cellulose cleaner.

13. Mr. Handyandy

That's the one!