Why do this?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by philthespark, May 3, 2016.

1. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Last week my daughter in law (spanish) asked me to connect an electric cooker up for her friend who had just moved house (also spanish) so I went and sorted it,now as you know a cooker is only 3 wires.Today I get a call off the same woman,2 lights not working!It didn't register at first why they didn't ring the council as it's a council house,problem 1, 2 kitchen lights from 1 switch but only 1 works,problem 2 light in bathrom not working.In bathroom somebody (husband) has removed fitting and fitted a spotlight bar,he's obviously got it wrong at some point as the switch is damaged,clearly by a short circuit.I sort that then turn to kitchen,remove the new fitting and was greeted by an unbelievable mess,wires not connected,wires twisted then wrapped in masking tape,it was terrible!What I cannot get my head around is how someone will not tackle a cooker (it's only 3 wires) but will charge blindly into a lighting circuit with multiple cables.

20160503_143128.jpg

madhatter1uk likes this.
  2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Shocking.:rolleyes:

philthespark likes this.
  4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The smaller wires make the diy's think the electric shock will be less if it goes belly up.

philthespark likes this.
  5. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

I've warned them not to touch the electrics again,it's their first council house so they're kind of on probation for the first 6 months.I said that if the council had been called not only could they have been charged for the repairs but there is a possibility they could have their tenancy terminated(they've only been in a week) plus if it had caused a fire they could have ended up paying for the damages,I dread to think what they did in their previous property.

madhatter1uk likes this.
  6. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Were they rehoused after an unexplained fire?

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I think its the Spainish way, the last Villa I rented in Spain had a socket hanging out the wall with wiring like that. :confused::confused::confused:

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

A friend carried out a PAT test on some appliance for a rented property let out to Spanish.

Landlord had got them a new fridge freezer as complained it wasn't working.

Old freezer still kept and working fine by tenants.

When tested, wouldn't PASS, as couldn't find earth.

After some investigation, found that the appliance lead had been extended using just 1mm 2 core flex (rather than 3 core) with just a chock block connector.

9. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Looks like my lawnmower lead repair when I cut through it on the final cut of the year last year and my mate had the van and tools, the only thing I could find at home was a pair of scissors and some double sided tape.

10. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Steady...! Some of us know a bit more than that!

diymostthings

11. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Surely this would have been noticed during the inspection - which would have preceded the test - and therefore the test would never have been conducted(!)?

12. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

They definitely would have been charged by the council and they charge something like 60 for sorting a light fitting out. They don't refit the tenants fitting either, they fit a pendant. It's bizarre really, because I'm in council and the electrician went to mums, claimed a fitting I fitted was faulty, charged us 60, then came here to change a faulty socket and asked why I couldn't do it.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just overlooked, the lead wasn't fully visible as was partly tucked under the fridge so looked good from first visual.