Why dont Screwfix....

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Need a bigger hammer, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Need a bigger hammer

Need a bigger hammer Active Member

Endeavor to supply the correct sized drill bits, to match the screws that they sell?
    I am namely talking about the masonry screws. Buy a 70mm screw that needs a 4mm drill bit. But the 4mm drill bits that Screwfix sell are not long enough. (80mm.) You have to put the drill bit on the very edge of being gripped in the chuck to be able to drill the hole deep enough. This seems to be a problem along a lot of the range of masonry screws. Surely it is not beyond the wit and wisdom of someone in authority to get a grip on this, and to sell appropriate sized drill bits. Longer bits are a lot better for this than a bit that is only just being gripped...
    Also why do they insist on stating that the drill bit is "80mm" when the actual working "cutting" length is only 65mm? etc etc...

Basically. Why don't Screwfix employ someone to actually use their products and to find the problems that can occur when things are not exactly as advertised...

2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Should have gone to T***s****n 4x150 mm ;)

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Why would you need a 70mm hole for a 70mm screw????, are you not fixing something with said screw.

The hole should only be around 50mm deep and the screw length be suited to the thickness of the item being fixed plus say 45mm, allowing a little dust room in the hole. ;)

4. You need a bigger hammer, mate.

5. Need a bigger hammer

Phill. So you are saying that if I were to fix a batten to a wall then the thickness of the batten would have no bearing on the length of the hole? If a screw is 70mm long, then the hole needs to be 70mm deep be it in brick, wood or anything else... The whole idea of masonry screws is to avoid having to measure things and gauge holes etc. 1 drill, 1 hole, fixed...

6. malkie129

Must admit that I assumed that you were fixing a thin metal bracket or similar....Yes, I have used long masonry bolts to fix a railing, where I needed to pick up the webs in hollow bricks, but as Phil has said, you don't need a 70 mm hole if you're fixing, say a 25mm batten.

7. malkie129

Sorry, I have been a bit too quick there. I can see your point. You want to use the same drill to go through the batten & then the masonry..,So yeah, a longer drill would be useful. :D

8. Phil the Paver

using masonry drills to drill through the timber aswell is not really the right way about things though is it, makes for fitting the raw plugs fun and games having to hammer them through the timber into the wall.

9. Phil the Paver

ignore the above, just see you said Masonry Screws :oops:

Screwfix, sell longer Drill Bits. :p

10. malkie129

Yeah Phil, we were both too quick to criticize. :rolleyes: Hammer man, please refer to my 1st reply and again, apologies.

11. Need a bigger hammer

No problem guys. I reckon it's easy to get frustrated with some of the comments that are likely to be on a forum such as this...

malkie129 likes this.
  12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Phil, that is the best way to do it :cool::cool: