Will I need a new Roof?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Matt_ali2000, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Matt_ali2000

Matt_ali2000 New Member

Hi , I'm looking at buying a house and thought I'd have a look in the attic. Upon inspection I noticed the felt or sarkin seemed to have been clout nailed on the inside in between the rafters. A lot of it is sagging and falling down and you can see daylight through the tiles. The roof is slate and the house is a pre war 1940s semi. I'm not sure if this just needs fixing back up or the whole of the slate tiles taking up and new felt going i too of the rafters. Please dee photos. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Time for new felt, probabley new slates as well, depending on their condition.

Having my roof done here, sarkin is 60 years old, tiles are obsolete, so got to have new tiles, some rafters have rotted away on the wall plate, right mess.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  3. Matt_ali2000

Matt_ali2000 New Member

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

You can't replace the felt , without removing the slates anyway. A couple of photo's from the outside would be of some use too. We could tell if the rafters were sagging and see more of the condition of the slates. ;);)

Matt_ali2000 likes this.
  5. Matt_ali2000

Matt_ali2000 New Member

Attached Files:

6. Matt_ali2000

Matt_ali2000 New Member

That's all I have, why would it be on the inside though and not on the rafters? The roof looks original so surely it's always been like that? But it doesn't seem right to me to be able to see the tile battens from the attic space? Cheers.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Probabley never felted under the slates orginially, might had problem with rain getting under slates, tack some felt on the underside to get water to run down to eaves, it's the same here, hence some of the rafters have rotted away on the wall plate, I also have rot in the joists around chimmey due to flashing failing.

You have a few loose slates come away by single chimmey, a bit of sagging on front, rear viewa few loose slates on left side & a metal plate for a repair.

Seen worse though.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Originally, there would have been no felt. The slates are that close together , they should be able to provide all the waterproofing the roof needed. Modern slated roofs , would have half the amount of slates you have on that roof.
    The roof appears to generally be in very good condition though (as Kiab says , there appear to be a few slipped slates near the chimney on the left of (what I assume to be) the front view of the house, and not much sagging at all. ;);)

Matt_ali2000 likes this.
  9. Matt_ali2000

Matt_ali2000 New Member

Thanks for that, yeah it seems the slates were mortared on and the felt was an after thought. It just seemed odd to me as all the roofs I've came into contact with had the felt across the rafters and under the tile battens but then again this is the first time I've came into contact with an original slate roof. That's a relief now knowing I don't need a new roof anytime soon! Thanks all