Win 7 - cannot log in after update.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Hi all.

Chust turned on my other wee PC - a Packard Bell all-in-one jobbie - which is running Win 7.

A black screen came with white writing saying summat about an update of summat, I think I recall it had a very large number - it stayed like this for a goodly while. Then it proceeded to the normal log-in screen which has 4 users.

I clicked on mine (no password) and the screen changed to the next stage as it usually does, but it then returned to the log-in screen.

Tried again - ditto; it always comes back to the same screen.

Tried a couple of restarts, but no difference.

'Elp, please :(

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Can you log in on other user names?

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Have you tried do a hard restart then when it starts to power up press the f8 key.

There should be options there to repair / restore

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Try shutting it down fully.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Kick it.:mad:

7. Thanks all.

So far I've only tried P-Boy's suggestion.

It didn't work...

I've tried repeated shut-downs - no difference. I've tried other peep's log-ins, no difference.

KIAB, I cannot even get to the point of doing an earlier point restore.

I'm holding off doing F8 until I read up more about what I'll need to do once I'm in there.

Cheers all.

8. Ah - soz KIAB - I can do this rollback restore via the F8?

Cooooool - I'll try that.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep, may have to time it right by tapping the F8 key a few times.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

11. Thanks again.

I did a surf for this specific issue, and sure enough there are a number of identical situations out there from the last couple of days, all caused by a 'critical' update a couple of days ago.

Seems it affects touchscreen PCs which my wee PBell is (although I rarely use that feature).

No comments from MS themselves yet, but some helpful suggestions on their forum. I couldn't follow most of the steps ("importing Hive", searching for "Hkey_Local_Machine_\Software" Eh? What the? Where the?)

Tried a system restore to an earlier point via the F8 setup, but it returned 'unexpected error - current settings kept' type thing.

BUT, when I rebooted I was able to logon normally, and then a message came up on my desktop that "System Restore completed successfully" and when I checked my updates, the update from 2 days ago - KB3097877 - was gorn.

Gorn, I tell you. Killed. Deaded. Vaporised. Zapped. Zonked. MOOOOO-HAA-HAAAAAAAAA

cough.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you know the update number causing issue, then you can remove it in Remove Programs.

1. Open Installed Updates by clicking the Start button [​IMG], clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then, under Programs and Features, clicking View installed updates.

2. Click the update that you want to remove, and then click Uninstall. [​IMG] If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/troubleshoot-problems-removing-updates#1TC=windows-7

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

System needs a re-boot.... from one side of the room to the other! :confused:;)

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

upload_2015-11-12_15-25-24.jpeg

Sometimes this is more effective.:)

15. rd1

rd1 Member

If you google that update number you will see numerous comment about the MS 'botched update' and the consequences.
    it appears that MS have reissued the update 3 hours ago with the botch removed (hopefully).
    best leave it for a while before you try to reload just in case?

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not the first time ,nor the last time that MS botches a update.

17. joinerjohn1

Tell me about it.:eek: Not only that, the way that older MS OS's installed updates was terrible. You can all remember the warning signs. "Computer updates are being installed. Don't unplug or turn off your computer." This was because the computer would remove system critical components , before installing the new ones.
    Once had our power trip out during a system update. Computer wouldn't boot up at all and ended up re-installing the OS from scratch. That only took a couple of hours, but then,,, the (almost constant) updates started. Cheers Mr Gates.

18. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

This is caused by a particular windows update. All the info is here https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/3seii6/outlook_issues_after_windows_update_1111/

You need to either do a new update as MS have fixed it or uninstall the one that's on there. If you also google the update KB 3097877 and not being able to log on you will find many other people in the same boat and solutions.

e.g. https://np.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/3scyef/windows_7_ultimate_cant_login_at_all/

Missed the post saying it fixed!. Maybe this info is useful to others :) PITA day for many in our company.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  19. joinerjohn1

That's all well and fine Simon, but you forgot one important thing there... If ya can't log in to your computer ya can't really uninstall updates, or even google the problem. What if this had been DA's only computer? What would he have done? Gone to the local library and used their computers?

About time Microsoft tested these updates fully before releasing them on us , the unsuspecting public. ;);)

Having said that, the November update for Win 10 is now upon us... Let's hope MS have got this blugger right first time.

20. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

No I didn't forget. The update has to come off or be re-updated with the new version to get rid of the problem. The links provide info how this can be done. I missed the post where DA did a system restore via the F8 set-up, which is in fact, one of the ways around the problem given in the links.

No way am I defending this and yes, if it had been DA's only computer it would have been a mega PITA. These days I only have Windoze on the work PCs. Chromebooks for most day to day web stuff, and linux on my "home" pc where all my archived stuff is.