Window lock?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Christopher Gray, Apr 24, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Christopher Gray

Christopher Gray New Member

I recently moved into my new property. The window downstairs has a key in which does work as i tested other keys, i unlock it and pull handle up and it opens about 5-7mm but wont go further. Will a new lock. Thankyou for any help

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  2. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

you will need need handle only which comes as a set with the key, toolstation if do remember around £8

3. dray

dray Screwfix Select

Do you mean the window only opens 5-7mm or the handle only moves 6-7mm?
    If the handle moves ok then it is possible that the window is seized on the runners. Carefully pushing around the edges will probably move it enough for you to lubricate said runners. Have a look at a window that does open to see what I mean.

Astramax likes this.
  4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Or one of teh bolts is still fouling in the H-gates. Just trying to resolve a couple where I need to close the handle about 10-15 degrees aftrer opening it to let the window open fully.

5. Christopher Gray

The lock works fine. I did take it off and try on another window ans opens that perfect and another lock on the current broken window & that still wont open so i believe its the window. I have some pics if it helps

Attached Files:

6. Christopher Gray

The lock works fine. I did take it off and try on another window ans opens that perfect and another lock on the current broken window & that still wont open so i believe its the window. I have some pics if it helps

Attached Files:

7. Christopher Gray

Attached Files:

8. dray

dray Screwfix Select

The lock, if you mean the bit that the key goes in I assume locks and unlocks?
    You have not said about the handle as if that is not fully opening (compared to a fully working one) then it will not be fully releasing the locking mechanism in the window. You need to open a functional window and explore, measure and compare the handle movement, then the mechanism on the side of the window to see what could be sticking on the faulty one. It may just need a slight push in the area where the bolts are on the side of the window and then slight adjustment.

9. FlyByNight

As above, try reclosing the handle by 10-15 degrees.

Or using a wooden wedge, so you do not damage the UPVC, insert at teh bottom and lift the window a little.

On a working window, get a picture of teh locking mechanism in teh frame.

10. BuildingMad

BuildingMad Screwfix Select

The bottom horizontal member of a top hung UPVC window can droop in the middle, especially if the casement is wide, without metal inserts; or the glass is supported in the wrong place nearer the middle instead of towards the outside.
    As above, try levering the centre bottom member up slowly- the rubbers will slide on the glass & hold it in place by friction for a while.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  11. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

have you tried to unscrew the handle and check if pin reaches the locking mechanism? or is warned out

12. Christopher Gray

Yep, i took the lock off & tryed one from a window upstairs thag opens fully and it still jams
    So i believe its the runner maybe??

13. FlyByNight

SO, have you bothered to try my suggestions? Or provide the picture I suggested?

14. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

sprocket gone on the mechanism, if you will youtube how to open pvc window broken lock- you will find a guide - you need to have piece of steel plate and bend it in z shape, slid from the outside into the jam and slide the locking pins to open