Windows 8.1 a failure?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Plum Duff, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Plum Duff

Plum Duff New Member

Anyone on here satisfied with the performance of Windows 8 or 8.1 even?
    Just found out that it is possible to to revert to Windows 7 professional which I think I am going to do as I find W8 or 8.1 to be an abomination.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I've been using Win 8 for over a year and upgraded to 8.1 a few weeks ago, no problems with either. I must say it's nice to have the start button back on 8.1

3. Plum Duff

Plum Duff New Member

Seneca are you using a touch screen or a mouse?

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Using mouse and laptop.

5. Plum Duff

Plum Duff New Member

Hmm, I think that as W8 was concieved as touch screen product that it behaves particularly horrible when used with a mouse and non touch screen, cant wait to get shot of.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I bought a laptop with W8 on it and sent it back after 2 weeks, awful, I've got a laptop and a PC running W7 and 2 Chrome books and we fight over the cheap chrome books as they boot up in seconds, don't need updating and just work.

7. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

I bought a hp split x 2 a bit back it seems to be running fine ............... apart from a few compatibility probs with window 7 progs

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think it is the intuitive and out of the box, ready to go thing that annoyed me, it didn't have it. Microsoft products are big, bloated, bum grapes.

9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Finding 8.1 OK. Like anything it take getting used to just annoying that the right click for print like on XP seems to have been binned.
    Have touch screen but tend to use a mouse seems to work fine with it. I must say I don't like touch screens using a tablet drives me mad, always inadvertently closing or opening something I didn't want to.

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

My 8.1 has the right click print option Teabreak.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It'll probably depend on whether touch and mouse are both available, or if configured especially for mouse only.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

.....if not, try the context button on the keyboard(looks like a notepad and arrow).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

It's worth remembering that mainstream support for Win7 actually ends in January next year. (so there's only 6 months support left for that OS, although extended support lasts until 2020) ;);)

14. Smokey

Smokey Active Member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  15. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Thanks, tried the context key just gave the same menu as right clicking, but CTRL+ P does work, so I guess that's the next best thing;)

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I have been using Window 8:1 for around three weeks and I find it excellent - cannot fault it at all.

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

:D JP. 3 weeks is a short time in the computing world. Give it at least 3 months. :)

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hi Un. No seriously m8 I really love the Windows 8-1 - was using om Windows 7 Ultimate before on old tower, and of course not possible to put this on new build comp so the Windows 8-1 is what I chose (asked Sen for advice also, and he said he had no probs with the os) the apps are great - you can pin to start etc etc - really no probs Un..boot up time? what 10 secs or less. Smooth os.

19. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I have Win7 home on my pc. My son has Win8.1 and it works very well. I have more problems than he does (and on the computer :D) but seriously I agree it is good.

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Tbqh Un I cannot understand why quite a high % of people don't like the Windows 8 or 8-1. From what I gather on the Windows 8 people could not get desktop view - however you can load all that into the apps and pull progs from there, and of course the update allowed going into desktop with considerable ease - Myself would like a default app view all the time, but also like the desktop to - maybe you can switch off desktop and keep in the apps I don't know really. I like things like the newsflash in the top upper right, the way you can just plug in a flash in the back usb and use it for very easy data backup which is all automatic after you set it, and this goes through all users. I dunno really I just like it and if I could find fault I would be the first one to post the faults but I cant find any. So from me definitely Windows 8-1 gets a thumbs up.