Wiring a ceiling light where the wires do not match

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Michael Elwin, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Michael Elwin

Michael Elwin New Member

Hello kind people of this forum,

I'm trying to install a ceiling light. The wires in the light are different to the wires in the ceiling rose.

The light has a four wires:

- a clear wire
    - a light blue wire
    - a light green wire
    - a green / yellow wire.

The wires in my ceiling rose are

- blue
    - brown
    - yellow and green striped

So not only are they different colours but there seems to be more wires in the light than is necessary.

Please see pictures. In the picture of the light wires, there is a yellow and green wire which is out of shot.

Please can someone help! So far every combination I've tried has either tripped the switch or done nothing.

Thanks, Michael

Attached Files:

2. Jiten

Jiten Member

I don't know if I'm missing something here, but I can only see three wires in both pictures. What are you trying to do, a swap from your ceeling rose to another light fitting? Did your light fitting not come with any terminals? Form what I can see you have neutral wire and earth wire (CPC) and a live wire. Judging what you already have on your pendant there is not switch wire...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  3. Michael Elwin

Michael Elwin New Member

Thanks for replying, Jiten.

In the picture of the wires from the light, there is a wire you cannot see which is out of shot. It's a green / yellow striped wire. So there are four wires.

I'm trying to fit the light to my ceiling, and wire it up properly. I can fit the light in position OK but something is not right with the wiring.

I just need to know where those three wires go in that terminal.

4. How many lamps/tiers does the fitting have?
    You will need a multimeter/continuity tester to test which cable is which.
    You probably have in the picture, one neutral doing all lamps and one cable for each set of other lamps in the fitting.
    The only way to find out which is which is to test it yourself or get someone to test it.

5. Jiten

Jiten Member

Colour coding of the cable should be as follows , but i have seen the colours reversed .
    brown - live
    black ( blue sleeving ) - neutral
    grey ( brown sleeving ) - live / switchlive

But this is only a guidance and explanation to the harmonised colours of 3 core.

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

This luminaire does not comply with CE standards, beware, where did you get it from, are their instructions? That insulation on the luminaire looks like 50V maximum to me.

7. Completely wrong again as are some of the comments in post number 2 that you commented.
    You gave completely wrong comments in another light thread yesterday where terrymac corrected things.
    I do not know if you are a 5 day wonder or 5 week wonder, but you seem to be issueing a lot of wrong information for people to read on here and actually believe.
    Please get the facts correct if posting so people do not get false information.
    Black gets sleeved Brown.
    Grey gets sleeved Blue.

8. Jiten

Jiten Member

The one thing I can suggest is you have your earth cable which is not in the picture, the wire you have a green colour next too, add that too the earth terminal. So add the earth and green cable together. The blue will be neutral and the clear yellow will be your live.

9. Jiten

Jiten Member

Ok Deleted member 11267, think you need to calm down with you 5 day or 5 week wonder. Previous post was just terminology which If i remember was you bringing it up... even though my advise worked correctly, you felt like you had to put you 2 pence worth in as the "terminology was incorrect.so before you start coming across like I gave wrong information, was the person successful in what he asked for? If the answer is no then say what you will.

10. That is bad information the fitting needs testing not guesswork.

Bazza likes this.
  11. Jiten

Jiten Member

Like you said Deleted member 11267, I need to get my facts right. Anything else you would like to add

Attached Files:

12. Michael Elwin

Michael Elwin New Member

Hi all, thanks for your responses.

Jiten, that picture you posted is virtually exactly what I have, just without the labels around the wire. Your advice sounds sensible so I will try putting the green / yellow and the green wire to earth. I'll let you know how I get on.

The light is a John Lewis Samantha ceiling light, Bob so I hope it's OK. I bought it from eBay.

13. Jiten

Jiten Member

Hi, not a problem at all, yes it's pretty much the exact same, which is why I recommended you put the CPC together. I thought it would be a good idea to show you the wiring but also wanted to make sure that the person who thinks I was guessing get the message that my advice did not appear out if thin air. Let us know how you get on pal

14. Michael Elwin

Michael Elwin New Member

I have wired up the light as suggested and again, nothing happens when I turn it on. It doesn't trip the switch - nothing happens at all. It has fresh bulbs in so should be all good.

I have attached a picture of how it is wired, see the green and the green / yellow going to earth. I've added some colour over the wires - white means clear.

Just to tell you the history - the first time I put the wrong green wire in the brown (live) part of the terminal. The lights tripped off when I turned it on. Might that have done some permanent damage?

Any idea what I need to do to make it work?

Attached Files:

15. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

You may of damaged your switch first time round, ideally you need a decent tester to test voltage and continuity

16. Michael Elwin

Michael Elwin New Member

OK thanks - but from that picture, is it wired right?

And if i have damaged the switch, what do I need to replace?

17. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

If your colours are right then yes it wired right but without a tester you are just guessing

18. Michael Elwin

Michael Elwin New Member

OK thanks. And if the switch is damaged, how do I repair that? Do you mean the switch on the wall?

19. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

This is a "long shot" but the lamps are 240 volt I suppose? ie, not elv which require a transformer/driver, just thinking if this is the case that's why it would have tripped the mcb initially and now nothing happens !