Wiring a single light

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Adam Bartholomew, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Adam Bartholomew

Adam Bartholomew New Member

So in my loft there is single 2 core (red and black) wire which I believe was once for a light as its on the house lighting circuit. I am planning to put a new light up there but would like some advice, should I just wire directly to the light fitting through a switch? Or to the light and back to the switch? Also, what type of switch (2 way etc)?

Thanks for any help offered

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If there's a live and neutral there just wire through a switch and then to the light. If there's no earth conductor present be sure to use a "class 2" light fitting. 1 gang 1 way switch.

3. Peter Gazey

Peter Gazey New Member

Can anyone help with wall light box that I got the cables muddled when removing the switch. It has one each red, yellow and blue wires, plus green yellow grounded to earth in the box. Which should go to the top L terminal and which to either L1 or L2 at the bottom? Its a 1-way, 2-gang switch for one circuit, but can be changed. The property wiring, which is inconsistent, dates from when built in 1985.

I have a multimeter, but don't feel confident using it on a live circuit.

Thanks for any help

4. Adam Bartholomew

Thanks for the help man, sounds simple enough :)

5. Adam Bartholomew

So I did exactly as you said seneca, and for some reason it now throws the trip, at first it was only whenever I switched the new switch on but now it just goes anyway so I now have to disconnect completley. Any ideas why this would be? Is it possible I am using too heavy cable (using 2.5mm twin and earth)?

Thanks again

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

No, nothing to do with the size of the cable. Sounds like the cable is damaged or if it's an rcd that's tripping maybe you've connected the earth to the lamp instead of the neutral!

7. Adam Bartholomew

Nope definatley everything is connected fine as it still trips even after I disconnect the lamp holder, also its brand new cable so shouldnt be damaged. It does seem a very tight fit inside the switch and was a very tight squeeze getting the 2 wires into each terminal.

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

2 wires into each terminal.??

9. Adam Bartholomew

Yea the wire in from the supply and then the one out to the lamp.... is that not right?

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Cable coming from supply, connect the black (or blue) (join together) to the lamp, and connect the red (or brown) to one terminal of the switch and the other one to the other switch terminal.

tore81 likes this.
  11. Adam Bartholomew

Oh right that sounds a bit more like it, thanks again for the help man ;)

12. Adam Bartholomew

Actually no, now the light is always on, better than nothing I guess

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It cannot always be ON if the switch is wired in the live supply wire!

14. Adam Bartholomew

Thats what I thought, could the switch maybe be damaged from my previous attempt at switching both the live and neutral? Also, the polarity on the lamp holder dosent matter right? There is 3 connectors with one marked earth and the other 2 unmarked

15. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes it could be that you've "welded" the contacts together. Try disconnecting one of the switch wires, if the light then goes off it shows the switch is *****d!

16. nathes2016

nathes2016 New Member

It cannot always be ON if the switch is wired in the live supply wire!

——————————————————————————————————————

The 16th China International Lighting Fair (Autumn Fair) will be held from 22-26 October, 2015 at the Guzhen Convention and Exhibition Centre in Zhongshan City, Guangdong Province.

17. Adam Bartholomew

Okay that seems to be that, the switch was welded so now have a new switch on and everything is honky dory :) thanks everyone for the help!