Wiring Diagram for Maintained Emergency Light Using Key Switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jitender, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Can someone confirm, whether this diagram is ok for wiring up a maintained emergency light switch please.

It took me a while to figure out what was what.

View attachment 9248

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

New Colours Emergency Light Switch - Harmonised Colours.jpg

4. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

No. Just switch L1 and L2 separately. No need for the test switch to isolate everything.

Your Three Core + E colours don't make sense ;-)

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Forgot to change the colours.:)

This is the latest drawing.

HARMONISED COLOURS

Emergency Light Switch - Harmonised Colours.jpg

I understand that it would still work without the key switch, but just wanted one as the switch is at the top stairs of a basement, so it can be safely checked from there.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

OLD COLOURS

Emergency Light Switch.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  7. Lectrician

In the last one, the blue should have black sleeve, but it was rarely done.

You just link the coms, no need for the key switch to drop power to the normal switch.

8. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

The OPs link doesn't work so I don't know what sort of light he has, however why all this talk of 3 core, the only difference between maintained and non maintained is one is lit 24 hrs a day and the other only comes on in a power failure, some EM fittings have a link you remove to make it non maintained, still only need a twin and earth to them.

Or has the OP got an normal on/off light with emergency backup.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have upload a circuit diagram below, I have purchased a Fern Howard emergency light maintained. This is the datasheet for the luminarire.

It would still require a 3 core cable as it needs a permanent live and switched live.

emergency light - Fern Howard.jpg

10. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

So it operates as a normal light as well then. Although I agree with Lec about only using the fish switch on the permanent live to enable the test, the instructions for the fitting say this:-

The switched line must be wired so that it disconnects from the luminaire if the Key Switch is switched off (no power to the fitting).

NOTE: - Both luminaire supplies must be broken simultaneously (switched and unswitched) when testing

They seem to be treating the fish switch as an isolator.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That makes sense.

took me a while to figure out. most emergency lights I have seen have been fitted public places or commercial environments, have been wired in single core.

I will be installing 3 or 4 emergency maintained lights in the basement, they operate as a normal light so are dual purpose.

The grid switch will be located at the top of the stairs, so it can be tested when leading down the stairs.

12. Lectrician

I have seen a few like this, but would steer clear TBH. The whole point in a test switch is that you can isolate just the perm feed, leaving the switched feed on for the remaining standard light fittings.

Maintained fittings it wouldn't matter too much either way, unless mixed with standard fittings.

13. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

And bear in mind that the key switch must not cause the supply to the normal lighting to be interrupted.

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have installed the emergency lighting and can confirm that it all works well.

15. Lectrician

Which way did you wire it though?

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

It was wired so that the permanent live could be switched, as diagram.

17. Monkey_22

Monkey_22 New Member

You wouldn't happen to have a diagram on how to wire up normal lights with maintained em lighting where the key switch will only effect the em lights would you?