Wiring in an extractor fan with timer.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by David Cox, Jan 21, 2017.

1. David Cox

David Cox New Member

Hi please can some explain how to wire in an xpelair 100ts extractor fan with timer. I have 4 core cable and a isolator switch, but not to sure how to wire in from the light pull cord switch. any help would be grateful.

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

You can only wire from the pull cord if it has a neutral there to, else you will need to come from the ceiling rose/light.

3. David Cox

David Cox New Member

Hi look at pull cord only one black and one red. The light has two black two reds and earth and not much room for more wires, the fan needs one permanent live and one switched live. If I go from the light not the pull cord what wires go where for the fan?

4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

From your post it appears to be a new install? If so, there are other things to consider such as earthing and bonding, rcd protection and it is notifiable works.

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

6. David Cox

David Cox New Member

Hi thanks for the diagram, as the wiring in my house is black and red can you explain a, b, and c.
    A =
    B =
    C = Neutral(black or blue wire)

7. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

:eek:

Phil the Paver likes this.
  8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

A. switched live

B. Live / Red

C. Neutral / Black

9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

B is permanent live and A is switched live.

10. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

At the same time Phil;)

Phil the Paver likes this.
  11. David Cox

David Cox New Member

Thanks for the info. Make sense when know :).

12. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

13. David Cox

David Cox New Member

According to the instruction this fan does not need earthing, and I am installing a RCD protection and a isolation switch between the light and the fan.

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The fan itself may not need earthing, but an earth must be connected at every point in the circuit, through the cpc in each cable.

Rulland likes this.
  15. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As Bazza, the cpc, earth, essentially, is the most important conductor in any circuit, this is the one that could potentially save your life, and is the conductor that is least respected by diyers doing their own 'wiring'.

16. David Cox

David Cox New Member

Yes the earth wire will be connected to all in the circuit, from the light to the rcd / isolator switch.