Wiring strip light in

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by IB67, Aug 18, 2017.

1. IB67

IB67 New Member

I need help. I'm wiring a strip light in to the garage onto a ceiling Rose
    The strip light only has a L, E and N connector
    There are 3 red wires, a black one and two earth tapes together

One red is going to live, 2 to loop in. The black is going to N and the two earth wires to earth

Where do I wire the two loop wires on the strip light connector

Attached Files:

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

The red going to live is the switched live from the light switch
    The black going to N is the neutral

These are the two that provide [switched] power to the light and to which you'd connect the strip light (plus earth of course).

The two red loop in are permanent live.

3. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

The 2 red wires in the loop go in a separate block the black goes to your neutral for the light the single red goes to your brown of the fitting earths go the earth of the fitting

4. IB67

IB67 New Member

there is no separate block for the two loop wires on the strip light.
    Do I just purchase a block and put them in? Does it need to go anywhere or is this just to make them safe?
    I can post a picture of the strip light fitting if required.

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Where are you taking the feed to the strip light from? If its from this rose then just leave the loop wires alone.

6. IB67

IB67 New Member

Yes using the live and neutral off the rose, obviously the blue and brown were from the drop down light fitting .

So just put loop wires in a stand alone connector block and tape off?

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Ah, you're replacing the rose with the strip light? Yes you'll need a connector for those loop wires, ideally something like a Wago, but a chocolate block will probably do as long as its protected.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Are you connecting strip light to the rose, i.e. The rose is staying in place ?

If so, you remove round flex and connect strip light at same terminals, left and right of block marked L / N - then also connect to earth terminal

If getting rid of rose, strip light will have a terminal block inside for connections. Black to nuetral, the red connected to L at rose goes to live. Earths to earth

The 2 centre reds, connect in a separate single connector block and tuck away inside the fitting

Obviously power off, test for dead, make sure no one in the house will switch lighting mcb back on, or pull of old stylie wired

Check all connections are right, no bare copper showing, earth sleeping on all earth wires, job done really

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I'm only diy me so could be well wrong but.....,,

Connections inside strip light are likely to be a regular strip connector, I've not seen one inside an enclosure either

The case of strip light acts as enclosure I'm guessing so not usually insulated any further

Can't see the difference of joining loop wires in a single strip and chucking (neatly) inside of case ?

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Strip lights normally use chocolate blocks for connecting the cable anyway!

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What are 'chocolate blocks' anyway with reference to electrical wiring doc ?

Do you mean the Dragons Den discovery of the humble 'choc box'

Using a simple strip connector (not included with choc box) but giving cord grips at either end and an enclosure that requires a tool (screwdriver) to open and screw holes for securing the box

Think most strip lights just use a strip connector inside. May be screw terminals or sprung terminals but not inside an enclosure - the light case is the enclosure

The ones I've seen anyway (agreed not hundreds of strip lights but more than 1 ! ;)

12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Chocolate blocks are strip connectors... they look like blocks of chocolate :)

13. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well I'm only diy so always call them 'strip connectors', although yes can obviously see the resemblance to a block of choccie

More my point was though in reply to doc bodge as I didn't understand why a wago should be used inside the strip light to connect the 2 loop in lives or a strip connector (chocolate block' 'protected' ?

The connections inside the light or more than likely to be a simple choc bloc, with no further protection other than the case of the light itself

Not looking for an argument, honest guv, just always like to learn and understand

I've now learned another name for the humble 'strip connector' so thanks to all :)

15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

As long as it's protected a strip connector would be fine, although a wago would be better as it won't work loose.

16. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Hi IB67, you clearly are new at this and as such a simple solution would be best for you. I advise that you leave the ceiling rose in place and do the following.
    Put up the fluorescent light and connect a piece of 1.0mm square T&E onto the connections, sleeve the earth, pass the cable out through the hole in the back.
    Isolate the supply.
    Go to the ceiling rose, remove the lid and disconnect the flex to the pendant, discard this.
    Pass the T&E through the slot in the back of the ceiling rose.
    The other end of the T&E should be connected to the connections that supplied the pendant, ie the two outside terminals, observe polarity. Sleeve the earth and connect the earth to the earth terminal.
    Replace the lid of the ceiling rose.
    You should now perform tests to satisfy BS 7671, but you will probably just switch the supply back on and the light will work,,,,,hopefully.