Wiring to new exterior garage install

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Wiring an external garage, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Hi all,

I have a 32a mcb from the main cu going to the conservatory using a 10mm T&E cable, as this cable is not currently being used I hope to run a 6mm SWA cable to the exterior garage (15m away) underground once at the garage either use a weatherproof junction box then from the junction box run a T&E cable to the garage CU or forget using the junction box and directly connecting the swa to the garage cu, then run a double socket using the 16a mcb, and the 6a mcb use it to run an exterior light and also a interior light.

Is the above ok to do?

Would I need anything in between to connect the T&E 10mm cable to the 6mm swa cable in the conservatory? (RCD)

Do I need to earth anywhere? If so where is best.

would it be better to use the weatherproof junction box or directly connect the 6mm swa to the garage cu, if not what size T&E cable will be sufficent?

Also to the lights and the socket will have a 1.5mm T&E cable, is this ok?

Is the below garage cu ok,

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/63138/Electrical/Consumer-Units/Volex-Consumer-Units/Volex-IP55-Garage-Unit-40A-30mA-1X6A-1X16A-SP-MCB

Once done I will get an electrician to certify the work, the socket are not going to be really used except for maybe running the hoover once every while and lights are going to be 50w maximum for both.

Thanks for all your help.

2. edward current

edward current Active Member

hehehehehe

here goes ...................

3. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

1.5mm pyro will do it!

4. edward current

edward current Active Member

15 biros?????

5. 1.5m pyro for what?

Is the rest of the circuit ok?

Thanks for your help.

6. general matter's

general matter's New Member

OP, the proposed installation/accessories etc seems fine mate! just remember you can't do it yourself and just get a PP spark in to do final connection's or to just certify the job!

7. j-elec

j-elec New Member

its not the work that needs certified, who told you to use 1.5 for sockets, why not leave it to someone who knows, it must be a small garage 100w of lighting

8. general matter's

Hi all,

I have a 32a mcb from the main cu going to the conservatory using a 10mm T&E cable, as this cable is not currently being used I hope to run a 6mm SWA cable to the exterior garage (15m away) underground once at the garage either use a weatherproof junction box then from the junction box run a T&E cable to the garage CU or forget using the junction box and directly connecting the swa to the garage cu, then run a double socket using the 16a mcb, and the 6a mcb use it to run an exterior light and also a interior light.

Is the above ok to do?

sorry, i was ONLY referring the above! :) as a general set-up!
    the use of 1.5mm2 t&e for the sockets (though maybe acceptable in the right conditions) should not be used! 2.5mm2 for sockets my friend! ;)

now as sine say's 1.5mm2 pyro..... absolutely! ;)

9. general matter's

got me thinking now???????????????????????????????????????

1.5mm2 T&E on a mcb type b mcb ?????? not the norm! but hmmmmmmmmmm Iz ???? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

10. general matter's

my kettles on a 13a plug! 1.0mm2 flex hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

only 3 more amps! hmmmmmmmmm and its 1.5mm2 hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

end off chuckles! (god i'm in a good mood today, though i'm hungover!)

11. general matter's

who drinks STELLA?
    i only had 5/6 pints and can't remember getting home?
    (god i hate that! might be barred from my local, for all i know!) NEVER AGAIN!

12. sysparks

sysparks New Member

U liteweight GM,

5-6 stellas is just for starters :^O

Think it showed 1.5mm twin being used for a socket in the osg, it was after a 13a fcu.

13. general matter's

U liteweight GM,

liteweight??????? i was HELIUMIZED! :O

my normal brew is always carlsberg (green can) but went on stella in my local, ** ** can't remember leaving!

:O

14. Thanks all for your help.

General matters Stella is horrible but does do the job.

Last question how would you terminate a 10mm T&E to a 6mm swa cable? Better to use a junction box and then what about earthing it?

15. sysparks

sysparks New Member

Use a metal adaptable box, 2 x 2 shud suffice.