workshop

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by vinnyb, Sep 29, 2014.

1. big all

big all Screwfix Select

that link goes to my saved list
    the bigger shed is cheaper??
    i was trying to link to my shed so you can get some off my hints but have moved it somehow ?? lol
    http://s21.photobucket.com/user/bigall2005/media/e1e47346.pbw.html?sort=3&o=15
    any way i have
    top tips
    have all your sockets at roof height this gives easy access keeps trailing leads off the floor and frees up all the floor and wall space
    i have 11 double sockets around my 12x10ft shed so never any further than 6ft from a socket [about 4ft apart ]
    plan your main working area slightly lower than your slider so if you need to cut long timbers they can overlap the working area

i make loads off furnitute off many sizes you need at least 2 working heights i have 3[floor workmate/s at 28" and bench at 36"
    all furniture must be off a size to allow one person to work on and move so large items are in 2 plus bits or final assembly when help is available

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  2. vinnyb

vinnyb New Member

thanks big all , very good advice, i wouldn't have thought of having sockets at roof height, i like the slide show of your shed

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

its 10 year old in this coming january quite a few changes all subtle through trial an error lol
    one change is a flap in the door to allow the cutting off long timber with the door shut to keep the heat in
    in your case would maybe be on the side panel to the door to keep the saw away from the main floor area
    in my set up the door opens to the wall allowing sheet material to sit against the wall behind the saw
    it is also fully insulated and lined in 12mm ply with a wood burner in the space the ryobi table saw once sat in under the orange juice bottle

4. vinnyb

vinnyb New Member

good idea about the flap, don't know if i'd like to cut a flap in a new shed though, yes i'll insulate mine as well, there's nothing worse than trying to work in the cold, the wood burner is something i hadn't thought of either, another good idea, yes i'll no doubt find things out by trial and error, it's the best way to learn

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

the trouble you will have is to use the slider near the door for longer planks
    if your forward off the door the saw will need around 18"beyond that to clear the door so the front off the swing arm for the base will be central in the doorway
    the solid door on my shed is 36" wide
    with a flap 15" wide with no boards behind the saw on the wall the saw can sit back and can pass 14 1/2" planks through the flap
    as it is now its 4" from the back wall this allows a plank 9" wide to pass through and storage for several boards behind
    in this configuration the back wall to table fence is 22" fence to the swing arm is 17" so front to back 1m/39"
    by swinging the table to maximum rh miter this drops down to 32" or within the footprint off the door

the point i am really making is you need to plan to quite high degree to get the best use lol

6. vinnyb

vinnyb New Member

yes i get it plan plan and plan again, if i make a flap, which is a good idea, i think i'll make it lockable because i won't need it all the time, i measured up last night for the shed and 10 ft is a bit wide it brings it close to the garage, which swmbo may not like so i think it'l now be the 16 x 8 ft shed i'll have to draw a plan of it and see where i can fit the various machines.