Worktop Joins... I'm curious?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by candoabitofmoststuff, Jun 13, 2014.

1. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Folks,
    I'm not a tradesman, just a curious DIY'er...
    With Kitchen worktops, when there are two bits of worktop to be joined, in a corner, why isn't a "standard" 45 degree mitre used? Why the "fancy" join that needs a jig?

I can see that this saves a bit of worktop being needed, (600mm or so), but other than that is there a good reason for NOT having a 45 degree join? Is is inherently weaker, or something else?

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

2. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Saves worktop and a shorter join. As a young lad I used to question this constantly. I still prefer them to this day - seems more balanced.

A worktop with a wood effect looks better using a diagonal join so the grain flows round. Also, if your corner is out of square by a large amount they give a better finish.

Use 4 bolts though.

FatHands likes this.
  3. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Thanks,
    So there's nothing inherently "wrong" with a standard mitre?
    Regards,
    Simsy

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Ordinary joint done with a jig and router is certainly a lot easier (and quicker ) to do than a full 45 deg mitre joint. If the corner isn't exactly 90 degrees the jig can be offset slightly to accommodate the "out of square" situation. With a 45 deg mitre it's not as easy to get just right. ;);)

FatHands likes this.
  5. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Yeah, but as that corner gets further out of square you run out of room to offset the jig and those bullnose edges do not line up. But, yes virtually all my mitres are done with the jig - just standard practice.
    Over the last few years I'm seeing a lot more stone tops though so less mitres to undertake.

6. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

Just use some of those nice alloy food collectors. ;)

7. joinerjohn1

Think you got that wrong Cheb. :p:p:p

8. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

I'm sure you have come across them JJ when ripping out old kitchens, Those Alloy strips to join worktops which collect all manner of filth under them.

9. joinerjohn1

Ahhh gotcha. Same reason they put kickboards on the bottom of base units,, so **** can build up behind them. :p:p:p:p

10. Mblack

Mblack Member

I was always told the reason for not doing a diagonal joint was so the 2 "pointy" bits of laminate at the back of the joint could come away due to surface tension on the laminate?

11. Someone's been yanking yer chain.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Council house joiners?

13. joinerjohn1

Hay, I was once a "Council house joiner." (or social housing as they liked to call it) Installed many a kitchen with these abominations. (mainly due to time constraints and cheapness) ;);)

14. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

We used to call them Salmonella Strips.:eek: