Workwear Issues

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Bertiebasset, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Bertiebasset

Bertiebasset Member

Bit of a strange question this one, has anyone else had any issues with screwfix workwear trousers?

I purchased a pair yesterday (36W) and found them quite small and very restricting, returned them and exchanged them, and discovered to have any comfort whatsoever i need to go up to a 40W which seems ridiculous, the 40 seems ok, they are the dewalt ones, multiple pockets, knee pad pockets etc good quality trousers, god help me if put weight on in the next few weeks!

Anyone else come across this? where do you fellow chippies get your workwear?

Bertie

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't even cater for my waistline :(.

3. :eek: I didn't have you down as a lardie, KIAB :eek:

Or are you too slim?:)

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Slightly portly barsteward!:eek:

42"/44" isn't fat.:(

5. ...cough...

Your clearly twice the man I thought you were.:rolleyes:

KIAB likes this.
  6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Joggers for me! Comfort before style. If I need overalls it is bib and brace for decorating and boiler suit for anything else, never bother with trousers under overalls myself but do stick to white pants when wearing whites can't get the old dears too excited!

7. Another industry that has evolved by brainwashing those vain tradesmen, who need to go work in the latest designer workwear, like a catwalk model or shop window mannequin.
    What is wrong with wearing a pair of jeans or trousers and overalls when required.
    It would also save a lot of money by being practical and not vain.

8. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

You find different makes do tend to differ in size,plus DeWalt is made by the yanks and everything they do is bigger,as an example an American size 10 shoe is actually a UK size 9.I'm a 33 inch waist,a 32 is obviously too tight and a 34 slightly too big,but sometimes I bloat a bit so it's a 34 with a belt.That said I have some work pants that are a 36 (allegedly) and they fit perfect.

Bertiebasset likes this.
  9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

42 to 44 is gross! lol

KIAB likes this.
  10. Bertiebasset

Bertiebasset Member

I don't think its vain to wear protective clothing

11. There is a difference between protective clothing and designer workwear.

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The majority of workwear (apart from chainsaw trousers) is not classed as protective clothing - if it was, it would be VAT exempt

13. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

My waist measures 31" so it's a toss up between wearing 30" trousers, which are just a bit tight. Or 32" trousers (with a belt) which are a bit too long in the leg. I have found that waist measurements vary between manufacturers though (who'd have though it) and some makes fit quite well at 30".

philthespark likes this.
  14. DisJoiner

DisJoiner New Member

I don't see work specific clothing as a fashion thing. There's nothing wrong with showing up on a job looking professional. It usually means you can charge a bit more. Knee pockets, which are usually a feature of the pants in question, are great too for working joiners. Slip a pair of pads in and you're good to go for flooring and skirting - or anything that means being on your knees all day. Asking for a better day rate, maybe.

As for sizing I find the Screwfix own brand Site Harrier pants are spot on for a 34" waist. As in they are a little too big and they make me think I lost just a little weight. I feel good about myself all day. Good leg length too, and the right hand side leg pockets are a perfect iPhone size. You want your work pants a little on the loose side anyway around the waist. Helps with layering up in the winter.

(I apologize for calling trousers pants, I grew up in the United States.)

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I wear Lee Cooper shorts with holster pockets which are good other than the hammer loop is on the left leg and is too wide so your hammer falls out and the belt loops at the front are too far apart, I've got Site toetectors at the moment which are very comfy but I had to take the first pair back as the stitching was coming undone. Other than that it's old teeshirts with a polo shirt over as it gets colder and then the hoodie goes on and I might have to wear long trousers for a couple of months if it gets icy, back into shorts by Feb/March.

16. Another shorts man!

It's chust me and the posties doon here...

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I hate wearing long trousers and will be wearing a jumper and a hat before I switch.

18. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Far east made clothing are often a size smaller than stated. I'm in 34" shorts though I'm a 32" waist.

If you look at the reviews they often tell you if you will need a size larger. When I bought mine from Screwfix I asked if I could try them on first and she said sure. When I asked where she said right where you are standing. :D