Yellow, Brown and Green?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Jun 26, 2016.

1. My bro - who isn't very practical - tried to charge his ageing Sony Viao laptop when he discovered the earth pin on the plug was missing. He's chust back from Edinburgh so reckons it's in a hotel wall socket there...

(This is a replacement charger too - he left the whole original one in a different 'Burgh hotel about a year previously... :rolleyes:)

Anyhoo, I suggested he chop off the plug and wire on a new one - he should be able to manage this with enough guidance :oops:

Anyhoo - stumbled at the first block - he stripped off the outer black sleeving and exposed the three wires below. He insists they are Yellow, Brown and Green.

I says "surely the 'green' is actually 'blue'?!" but he says no - it's green. He's even compared it with a cable from a desk lamp - which is blue.

Is this possible? Can a Sony mains cable really be Green, Yellow and Brown? Should I tell him to go ahead and wire it up - Yellow earth, Brown live and stuff the 'Green' into neutral and see what happens...?

Ta much :)

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow too!:p:D

3. Bludy 'ell - he wasn't kidding :eek:

Which wire is which?

sony charger.jpg

4. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

pitty he prob cut the plug short or you could of checked the pins based on the colours there

5. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I guess as it came with a moulded plug it ain't meant to be disassembled? So they could have been pink, purple & puce coloured?

Bring back the EU and the brown, blue and green/yellow flex colour change from 1972...

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Does the other end of the lead have a 'kettle' plug?

If so, get another lead with plugs on.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Mr. Handyandy

Otherwise, if he still has the plug, cut it open to see where the colours terminate. Or test continuity between cut wires and pins.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

My correction...
    ... Not 1972 but 1969 (leaflet found in a loft). 1969 was the copyright date on the leaflet, but it was cut off in the scanning process.
    Colour change harmonisation for solid cores of course came much later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coloumb likes this.
  9. Tee-hee - thanks all.

He's in London and I'm in Devon. He doesn't have access to a test meter (and wouldn't know how to turn it on if he did...)

Yes, the plug top is a sealed unit - he'd probably kill himself trying to smash it open.

Ok, it's time to start Googling :)

10. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Sony use both the twin and clover leaf leads both cheap enough to buy

11. Cheers. I think it's a cloverleaf - and he's going out hunting for one tomoz.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Good.

If he was intending repairing it, you should go help him.

Looks like he has taken to those cables with a bread knife!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Short of actually opening up the charger to see which wire goes where (fraught with danger if your brother is as bad at diy as you say) Best bet is buying a new complete lead.
    As an aside, a patient on our ward had one of those electronic photo frames. He had it plugged into a wall socket and when he pulled the plug from the wall, the "live " pin was left in the socket. :eek::eek: I turned the socket off and phoned maintenance , telling them it was an urgent job. (tried pulling the pin out of the socket but it wouldn't budge) sparky came and even with a pair of grips, couldn't pull it out. He switched off the ring at the breaker and replaced the socket. Had a look at the old socket and it looks like the plastic covering the half of the pin had came out instead of the pin. Due to the shape of the pin, the spring bit in the socket had jammed up. :eek::eek:

14. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

I have a colour chart somewhere,I'll find it and post it up,I had to replace a plug the other day and the colours were,red,blue and green.

15. Ach, London is too far away. He can go hunt for a new cable :)

16. An option would be to smash open the actual plug top and see which pins the wires go to in there - the plug is knacked anyways.

Remains an option if he can't find a replacement cable easily.

17. Red, Blue and Green? :confused: That's every bit as random. Why such weird colours? It hardly helps 'safety' with such confusion... :oops:

If you have a chart that shows my bro's colours, that would be great. I've Goggled and found now't.

Mind you, I imagine he'll find a cable today.

18. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I would recommend smashing it in some way so it cannot be inserted into a socket by an inquisitive child ... and also removing the fuse holder and fuse and disposing of the holder.

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I dont think I would go on a color guide as it could have been wired up in the factory anyway round.

A PC shop should have loads of these, I gave them my laptop when it wasn't repairable.

If not a new AC/DC adapter costs about £15.

Still hang onto the old adapter, as the DC jack is normally where these things break.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Excellent - exactly what I do Mr P.