Yes mate!

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Astramax, May 13, 2016.

1. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Just visited the local Screwfix to be greeted with 'Yes mate' so handed over the item slip which was read out to me followed by 'Post code and name mate' that's blah blah at blah blah blah, yes that's correct, anything else mate? yes manners, do I know you, No, then I'm not your mate I'm a customer so to you I'm Sir, don't you believe that 'Can I help you Sir' sounds far more customer focussed than 'Can I help you mate'. Must be an age thing or am I expecting too much?

2. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Next time you go there, wear a suit, a nice one and maybe a top hat.
    Top it off with a walking cane for theatrical effect and I would bet money on it he wont call you mate!
    Ways and means ;-)

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Bet he does!
    :cool:

longboat likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You are missing the point mate!

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I was in a Screwfix branch last month, & was greeted with good morning bud, can I help you:eek:.
    This bud greeting seems to becoming ore popular & popping in several places lately, builder merchants,plumb base,etc, I loath it, I am not a yank.:mad:

At least in my local SF, it first name terms by a couple of the staff, others it's Sir or Mr.:)

Andy_ likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Got some car parts from euro car parts recently and was greeted at the counter by a spotty youth uttering the phrase "yes blood"

"Er, ......... Are you serving me" ? I asked

The same phrase was offered "yes blood" ...... But this time slightly louder, a tone of annoyance and an uncomfortable stare followed

I quickly said to the oik "oh right, I thought you was a vampire and you was asking for a drink"

As you can imagine, straight over the top of his head, but followed up with "what u want, innit"..... I kid you not

Customer service ....... I couldn't even understand a single word he said but eventually collected my parts, luckily I had pre ordered them

And yes, he was a male Caucasian :D

gadget man and longboat like this.
  7. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Why thankyou kind sir!

If I was fortunate enough to be in an Aston martin dealership or a nice hotel or flying business class to New York, then yes, I would be taken aback if referred to as 'mate'.
    But in a DIY shop buying a box of screws and the guy serving is probs on minimum wage, as long as I'm in and out as quick as possible, I couldn't care less if he calls me mate!
    With the rate of staff turn over in screwfix your unlikely to see him again anyway. :)

8. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Now that kind of **** would * me off!

Edited due to unsuitable language attempting to bypass the profanity filter

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
  9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Have noticed in my local SF branch lately that they seem to have a member of staff at times just 'loitering' by the front doors, as a 'greeter' I guess

Really friendly bunch of staff in my branch, several long term members and often a new face or two, all polite and cheerful

When their serving behind the counter, or picking the items they seem fine, chatty, comfortable with their job and at ease

Put them in the 'greeter' position though and they just don't seem comfortable with it. A couple of them look and feel positively uncomfortable and just mumble a hello as you walk in and a thank you as you walk out

It doesn't seem a great use of labour and I'm sure this doesn't happen all the time - maybe during slack periods or if they have a tip off about head office visiting :eek:

Maybe they should stand at the door with a flask of tea and coffee and at least offer you a beverage and a hello

I mean T Stn have a free vend machine so that's a start Screwfix ;)

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And the hot choccy is very good, I always make a detour for a free drink.:)

Manage to get four free drinks from various TS branches in Bristol last Saturday.:eek::oops:

11. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Go to the trade counter for a free brew.

12. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

My local SF great me with "morning. Strong tea with milk isn't it"? ;)

13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Get over yourself ☺ you're just a hairy arsed painter and decorator :D:D
    Mate isn't bad manners, its a friendly jesture.
    Now bad manners are peeps who when driving don't acknowledge you when you've let them out or moved over to allow them passed, that really pees me off.

longboat and KIAB like this.
  14. Phil the Paver

My local SF, normally goes, "it ain't in stock MATE" :D:D:D:D:D:D

gadget man, longboat and KIAB like this.
  15. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Sometimes take the family over for hot choccy all round, bargain if I need a 28p bag of washers. :D

KIAB likes this.
  16. Phil the Paver

So you said. :p:p:D:p

17. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

The insolent beggars! :)

KIAB likes this.
  18. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

You didn't see that, right.

19. Phil the Paver