your thoughts please......

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by DIYDave., Sep 13, 2015.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

So many threads are now becoming uneccesary long and deviating so far from the original point, it's actually becoming a bit silly

Sure, there's always been banter, the odd falling out and regulars declaring that their leaving the site for good after one too many bust ups, thats all usual and part of life

Just lately though the amount of personal attacks and dramas seems to be increasing at an alarming rate

Sure I can choose not to read any of this stuff, some of it, or never visit the site again. It's my free choice
    But, I like the forum, visit every day, have learnt loads, had plenty of questions answerd and, have added my tuppence worth when I feel I can.
    Its just if I start reading a thread about a leaking tap, I have an idea generally about the subject matter. After a few replies, one page max, the OP has been informed with skilled, relevant, knowledgable and useful information
    Do we all then want a further 3 pages of trading insults, emotional outpourings, rambling and totally irrelevant c•rp ?

I just feel that the forum is being derailed somewhat lately, possibly intentionally, for whatever reason ?

"Just Talk" is the section for all this other stuff, anything other than building trades related topics really

If you've got general chit chat and an urge to set the world to rights, then please stick it in this section. Then I can simply choose to either take it or leave it - much more efficient use of my time

Rant over
    Many thanks and your thoughts please .......

P.S.
    I tagged this onto the end of a recent post about lowering a concrete floor, which once again had been "steered" completely off course
    Today thought may have been better to start as a new post

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Screwfix state:-
    We encourage you to debate the topics and issues of the day, whether related to trade/DIY or not.

3. proby

proby Active Member

Topics and issues of the day, but just lately it's turned into Facebook

4. I've no idea what you are all talking about... :rolleyes:

I know what you mean, DIY - it's mainly not fair on the OPs of these threads.

And I rarely these days become drawn in to these 'conversations' for precisely the reasons you say. And that is the simple option open to us all - don't become involved. Don't reply.

Other than that, this is a free forum open to all for comment. Hopefully it'll all settle down with largely relevant replies being made to each thread - along with the odd bit of banter in each one if wished. But when threads seem to have grown by whole pages in a day, I - for one - stop reading.

I know I made extra inputs input to the 'concrete floor' thread, but actually to very few other 'elongated' threads recently.

5. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

I hate it when a thread goes off topic.

sooo...

Q: How many grammar nazis does it take to change a light bulb?

A: TOO

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

With all due respect Astra, I think you've missed the point I'm making

I'm all for free speech, democracy and as you have pointed out, The Screwfix Mission Statement

I agree totally and fully support the right to debate the issues and topics of the day, but do so under the correct forum heading

When the OP is seeking advice on how to lower his concrete floor, what relevance has an argument about dog walking got to do with a wrongly finished floor level ??

This is not a personal attack on anyone, I just used the above as an example ...... Hope that's ok Mod Pete :)

And DA, honestly, I alway enjoy reading your offerings, bit long though sometimes but packed full of detail, ideas and hopefulness mixed in with a dollop of wit, cleverness and just you living up to your forum name !

parahandy likes this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

It's always been like it on the SF forum. It used to bother me but I don't really care any more. It's not real, it's the internet. Today I called out for not doing a job the way it "should" be done according to the "trade" way of doing things rather than the "regs" way of doing things. No one who said anything about it has actually SEEN the job so how the hell would they know anyway? Am I bothered? No.

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I agree Dave. I'm reasonably new to the forum...but recently it seems to be watered down too much. We're not discussing rocket science here, and I like a bit of banter ( as it is on site), but too much random **** posted recently! Occasionally entertaining...but generally annoying!

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I am presuming we are talking about Miss Pickle's ramblings?

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

What?!

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member