Zenith solid laminate worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Doall, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Doall

Doall Active Member

On the front edge either use a orbital sander with 120 and 240 sand paper or what I done today was clamped a sprit level underneath worktop and used a trimmmer on my router which gave a brilliant result. Not doing a mitre join just going for a biscuit join as for holding it together I bought a ratchet suction clamp to pull it together. Dreading the undermount sink as I've done all the plumbing it's got one of those instant boiling water units by franke. Also a incinerator to fit too , all fun and games

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Incinerator :p:p:p

3. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Franke boiling tap here also. Fit loads so not a problem. Never fitted an incinerator but i have seen one at an expo. Dodgy builders are burning absolutely everything they can though in the back garden - including all my polystyrene - black smoke everywhere. :eek::eek::eek:

4. Doall

Doall Active Member

Lmao

5. Doall

Doall Active Member

Only problem I can foresee now apart from my spelling is trying to get the biscuits in as the worktop goes from wall to edge of worktop 2800mm. Maybe might have to jack them both up join and try and slide in as for the splash back nt even looked at them lol. Jobs a garage conversion with bc involved certainaly been a eye opener

6. Doall

Doall Active Member

Made the biggest school boy error you can make today under mount sink came with 2 mdf jigs saying top bottom. So thinking its a undermount sink I used the bottom one only to find the sink fell straight through
    Gutted is a understatement to say the lease anyone got a idea on the price off these zenith worktops and as to where you can get them. I know they got it from wicks can you buy them off the shelf ?

chippie244 likes this.
  7. Doall

Doall Active Member

Should have some alchole wipes that cleans it off metro

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That feeling in your stomach when you know you have ballsed it up big time :eek::eek:

9. Doall

Doall Active Member

That feeling when the customer says ordered a new one it was £300 and can't be delivered to 13th December ouch
    Slightly of topic fitting mid high oven housing unit 3 of them.theyve come full size and need to be cut down to size, kitchen is from wicks ? Never had to do this before anyone else has any pointers

10. Clickernick

Clickernick New Member

11. Clickernick

Clickernick New Member

I fit for Wickes customers and just completed my first Zenith kitchen install and all went ok.
    Whole fit out took six days.
    I used a new festool special red blade which is now ready for a resharpen. ( hard going on saw blades) Maison mitres were easy but slow going too. New cutter in the router also.
    Used 3 biscuits per joint with great success. 5 min epoxy is all you need for an invisible joint and suction clamps ( glue blocks and speed clamps will also work) You use IPA wipes or solvent to wipe off surplus glue before it sets up. Usually your worktops come with a install pack that contains all you need for the job.
    Edges polish easy with a sander with 130 and then 240 grit papers, finishing off with linseed oil for sealing and cosmetics.
    All in all a slower process than traditional worktop but the results are brilliant and it’s bombproof.

Just go slowly and use sharp tooling,,, you were warned!,,

FBEDADB2-C6D3-44E9-B1E5-8552F4974537.jpeg BD54D885-8F34-4027-938B-32F5D876F62C.jpeg 620334F6-330B-499D-A02F-CE20FAF0D307.jpeg FAC84659-FCBD-4BB2-8CA9-28A23C55C1FF.jpeg 34E21DE8-C2D2-477E-9316-42D7365E4E17.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Atti La and Jimmycloutnail like this.
  12. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

Nice job mate, Found the hot melt and blocks doesn’t work with zenith as the rough surface doesn’t seem to like it suction clamps are the way forward, also I don’t use the epoxy in the kit found it ****

kitfit1 likes this.
  13. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Yep, suction clamps are the best way of pulling up Zenith joints or to be more accurate a seaming tool. Never fiited Zenith with an inset sink yet, they have always been underslung. When fitting an underslung sink i always fit the sink in the cab below worktop level and then fit the Zenith in the same way as granit would be fitted.

14. Jimmycloutnail

Eye watering money for the suction clamps, didn’t like parting with close to £300 for something that didn’t have a motor, yeah usually have undermount and routed drainer grooves, have done a couple with inset sinks, as it’s so thin it causes a few issues with inset sinks and hobs

kitfit1 likes this.
  15. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

No need to spend that amount of money if you only do them on the odd occasion, these will do the job just as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolocity-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MACN5XDVZZEJ4D1B674C

Jimmycloutnail likes this.
  16. Jimmycloutnail

I’m a bit of a tool junkie so opted for a bohle set but there were even more expensive versions, after buying them a couple of years ago I’ve found I’ve used them a fair bit to be fair

17. Dan dan the man

Dan dan the man Active Member

Makes your clothes smell like cat **** them bloody zenith *****.

18. Atti La

Atti La New Member

Nice Job! By any chance, do you have any feedback from customers, how these ZENITH worktops perform on the long run?!
    Are there any complaints (after a few years of useage) for
    - marks/scratches on the top
    - chips/breakage on the edges
    - problems with undermount sinks
    - or any kind of problems/compaints/regrets on the long run?!

Thx in advance!