A man's gotta do.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by philthespark, Nov 14, 2016.

1. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Thats cute, what do you put in it, your superman lunch box hahaha

Joe95 likes this.
  2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I caught a group of teenagers trying to break into my place a few years ago. Went out to confront and one of them approached me - just at the point when my hand reached out for the scaffolding pole. When the local Police came out the already had them in custody on the ambulance - as they said, I was clearly acting in self defence ;)

Joe95 likes this.
  3. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Sospan know the feeling. Too much too do and **** all time to do it. Have already been moaned at by the wife, spent all day doing stupid little jobs all over the place. Need somewhere to vent and here it shall be.
    And to top it all off half an hour ago I was rung by a company wanting two more PTZ camera installed, and they have yet to pay be the 16k for the original install. Had a right old rant at the guy on the phone.
    This is no small company without the money either, without naming names it's a company who used to make watches and now do property management. Load of ********.

4. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

It's surprisingly big when you shelf it. I am looking at the new transporters though, I need more space. Cannot fit anything longer than 2m in there. Alright for most jobs but a joke for others. It's a good little runner mate.

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I have been lucky to date. I live on through road and have had a few offers on my van over the years, so people notice it.
    Last night while putting the bike away I spotted a lad tucked by a wall on his push bike, when I looked back he was gone.
    I have some tells on my workshop and the key plate (which is a bit of timber cut in to a shamrock) wasn't covering the key hole this morning and I always cover the key hole, they wouldn't get through the lock, but I know they are scouting.

6. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Only pulling your leg, I have the t5, vw fan since I was a lad, although I wonder why sometimes

7. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I have the swb 2.5, go for the lwb, it just looks a little more A team, IMHO

8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Do all you can. CCTV & alarm for long term and wire trip for short term. They will get in. It's only a matter of time.

9. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

If they want it they will, all you can do is make it harder for them.

10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Was looking at the t6 swb, I need to have a gander. Spending that kind of money won't be easy. We are planning on doing a side extension (larger kitchen). I would have had the van this year but those non payers are the single reason.

Fella next door is a Chippie and a good mate of mine, he has the swb crafter in black. Very nice van. Too big for my needs though.

Dream would be to get the t6 sport line, but the prices make my eyes water.

Is the T5 a good runner?

My van history is messy. I had an astravan, two transit connects, then got the caddy. It's been the only van without issues (touchwood) and the only one I am genuinely happy with. It's also the only van i ever brought new.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  11. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I have had a couple of drive shafts, rear seized calliper, ex manifold leak, wiper motor, I got it new in 07, 125000m so not bad I guess, it seems that every time I put it in it cost £700 now. But it is the fast lane van.
    Its my car as well. There are better cheaper vans out there though if its just for work.

12. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I have a t5 am converting it, believe you me no matter how big the van is you always end up filling it I bought a Renault master mwb and I fill that

Joe95 likes this.
  13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Trouble is when it is like that, you get suspicious of every noise and anybody hanging around - and as you say if they are determined to get your stuff then there isn't a lot you can do. My workshop door withstood the transit van hitting it but I know someone with a cordless sabre could cut through all the bolts hinges and draw bar

Joe95 likes this.
  14. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

What you doing, standard vw kit out? or bespoke?

15. Sparkielev

It slow going, got windows in it 2013 model can't decide what to do

16. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Hopefully I would be awake before the sabre came out. Maybe I need to a taser or cattle prod too.

17. Sparkielev

Don't think I will go down standard route tho

18. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Have had 1 driveshaft go, engine management system problems and numerous wiper motor changes. I should have included that in 'good runner'...

As for reference:
    First transit engine completely went, second was rear axle disalignment and was always more expensive repair than what they cost me. Lost total faith in ford over the lock thing though.

I use the van as my own daily driver too.
    We have a ex police V70 (2.5 turbo) as well which is fantastic and never had any major issues, real love for that car. But that is used by OH all the time.

Yeah, I know it is stupid how quick they fill. I had to clear out the vans monthly, once you've got a bit of rubbish in there suddenly there's no space at all. Fridays are a nightmare too, I sling everything in and hope for the best.

19. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I have been looking at layouts for ages, I want single sleeping so I can get a motorbike in. But want the bed to fold out from the side to a 3/4 bed.

20. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Think as you go though the process you could take pics and updates? would be interested in a thread here. I think a few of us would.