Aico smokies

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Coloumb, Jul 6, 2015.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Thats not the only thing either, on the last update course I did, the tutor was adamant the "safety" circuit for the smoke detectors had to be a different colour from normal circuits, like FP200 would be off a proper fire panel. He suggested pink 3C&E. Now it may well say this somewhere in the regs but I wont be following that one either.

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I am far from brain dead, my friend, I actually have one. You would rather blindly install 1.5mm2 cable on the basis of a table because presumably you assume it isn't safe to use 1.0mm2 and thus you misinterpret the table. It does not contravene any Regulation. Your stance shows you to be obstinate against using your brain to accept the obvious. Too many do likewise. Blindly use words and refuse to apply logic. :)
    It may irk you to be likened to ban-all-sheds but you both exhibit exactly the same trait, that of refusing to accept anything other than your own beliefs.

3. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Have a flick through BS 5839-6. I.S. 3218 states this but not 100% sure if that was transposed from BS 5839-6 or not.

4. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

I was not asking for approval.

5. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I never stated that you were.

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

How's this for lateral thinking, Risteard! You can call a circuit anything you like, it can have anything wired on to it. A standard lighting circuit is 1.0mm2 on a 6A breaker. It is still a lighting circuit if you put smoke detectors on it. Just because you label it smokes doesn't mean it isn't a lighting circuit. Trouble is you won't get your head around that one. Your logic is that lighting circuits must only have lights on them. What about extractor fans? What about door bells? What about security alarms? What about boilers? All perfectly okay on a lighting circuit. That's the difference between you and I. I see common sense, I see logic, I see no reason not to, you see only what the Reg says and don't see further than your nose. Pity because you could become such a good spark, yet you are trapped inside your blinkers. A lighting circuit does not have to have lights on it. The circuit is designed for anything up to 6A. Get your head in to that. :)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    CGN and sparky Si-Fi like this.
  7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Risteard - if I wired the smokes in .75mm flex then you would pass this as compliant with the regs yet 1mm twin would fail? Can you explain this to me and your reasoning behind it? And not just "because that's what it say's in 7671".

8. sparky Si-Fi

You and I Roy common sense sparks, I am not in fear of farting in case I siht meself

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yes, mix and match :) Sometimes though its just more cost effective to use the radio bases, especially on a 3 storey with no loft and laminate floor everywhere :D

10. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I was the one who clearly stated that a lighting circuit could have smoke detectors or fans etc. on it you moron. I said if you weren't connecting them to a lighting circuit then you couldn't use 1mm^2.

LEARN TO READ.

11. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

So if I put in a smokes on 1mm, you failed it, then I stuck a light on the end of it, you would then pass it?

12. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Take it up with JPEL/64 if you don't like it, not me.

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

So, yes or no?

14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Jeez you are a pita, Risteard. YOU said IF it was a new circuit purely for smoke detectors you would class this as a non-lighting circuit and insist on it being wired in 1.5mm2. Jobsworth! Now YOU read my post you irksome twit.

15. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

A circuit purely for smoke detectors wouldn't include lights, would it?

Or can you not even comprehend your own statements?

16. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I'm feeling ignored :(. As stated, if I put a light on the "circuit purely for smoke detectors" then it could be wired in 1mm AND comply with the regs? Y or N?

17. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

You could argue that.

18. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Coloumb this is the mentality of some electricians. You have a far better understanding of the Regs than he does.

19. sparky Si-Fi

Goes to show that regs are written by desk jockeys who do not work out in the field and cannot do basic circuit design principles.

Any departures from the big yellow one, knowing that my install would not have any significant impact on the safety of the individuals using it, would not even be on my radar in this instance and if it ever went to court, no lawyer in the land would entertain it.

20. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You could not make it up. 100% comedy gold.