Boiler fitted by unregistered guy. What do I do now?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mr Lahey, Nov 25, 2014.

1. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I was of course replying to Walt's reply to me DA. (I'd never call you Walt)

2. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

I have to say Walter is right. The key here is the test of competance. If a diyer does a job for herself without pay and it never produces a hazard - then its reasonable to assume that her work was competant - and you would never hear of it. If however it leaves a hazard which shows up as an explosion, CO poisoning or whatever, then it is reasonable to assume that the work was done incompetantly - but this could only be "proved" in a court of law. I spent some of my career piping hydrogen gas into a laboratory - as a scientist, aware of the risks and knowing the correct use of fittings etc. I felt competant in this work.

diymostthings

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Yep Walt is 100% correct. From now on, my advice to those asking on here about their boilers etc, is going to be "Fix it yourself,, it's legal to do so." Save £££££££££'s :p:p:p:p

Walt Systems likes this.
  4. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Pretend gas engineers are people that

I recently had someone fit a boiler who was once registered but no longer is a plumber so his registration had expired and he hadn't renewed it. He'd done previous work over the years

He said he'd be able to have it 'checked and signed off' but this hasn't happened yet and I don't see it happening now.

What are my options here?
    Notification normally is required 28 days from installation,
    That's the least of your problems,
    Call an engineer to check & report to HSE

5. Agile

Agile Member

This thread seems to have petered out without any explanation of how it was resolved.

So Mr Lahey, what happened in the end?

Tony

6. G&W Plumbing & Heating

I'm confused

I didn't write the reply thats 1 above????

So is someone one my account & why?

7. That's a mystery indeed.

But, hey - Tony of AGILE IS BACK!!!!!! :D

8. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Hi Dev

I've missed you pal

Just been to the fair with kids, I've popped open a nice merlot and thought, what better to do than share my wisdom....what's ADILE?

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. Och, Tony of Agile services is a cove from waaaaaaay back on here, and he seems to be a regular and decent cove - chust like you :D

10. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Ah right

I'm only 36, so there's age limitations to my understanding of some humour....I once sat in my nappie watching postman pat, spit the dog and bungle..... but this doesn't mean I can't do a good wiped joint, identity a primatic cylinder, know about a one pipe system and I know gravity only circulation isn't actually magic....we both carried asbestos tanks on a loft ladder...just in different directions

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  11. G&W Plumbing & Heating

12. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Alternatively you just don't remember posting it seeing as it was nearly 3 years ago ;)

13. You are only 36 and you remember Spit the Dawg?!

Man, that's soooo unfair... :(

Anyhoo, plenty of room for lots of Tonys on here -they are all good as far as I can see :)

14. G&W Plumbing & Heating

it's like it's written by the same person who posted

Saying that looks suspiciously like it's been copy & pasted

Maybe a few merlots were to blame again

Rulland likes this.
  15. G&W Plumbing & Heating

There's no good or bad in plumbing

It's more...

A.Thick, stupid, lazy, unmotivated learning limitations,

B.Intelligent, adaptive, ambitious, motivated to evolve with technology

It's also brilliant how everyone will claim to be B.

16. G&W Plumbing & Heating

This is the difference

He can't assume his competence unless he's competent, therefore having a comparative view against incompetence.

Because people who idiotically assume their competency, are somewhere between a cowboy and a self indulgent narcissistic,

We have a thing called qualifications, attached is my certificate of competence, this alone does not allow me to legally "work" by GSIUR definition. That obviously requires yet more money to be added to the gas safe register.

So if he has one of these, he's 100% competent and can in fact employ someone to register the appliance for him. As do all company's when they employ or sub contract the work, however he would undoubtedly be advised by gas safe to follow correct procedures that govern this industry

IMG_2625.JPG

Joe95 likes this.