Boiler fitted by unregistered guy. What do I do now?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mr Lahey, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Yep. The Householders check.

2. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

If you did the job properly, yes.

Here it is again just for you.....

Competency is what you DO. The result. Not a prior pieces of paper.
    The laws states that all who do gas work must firstly be COMPETENT. Then it splits into two:

1. Those who do gas work for gain (usually money).
      These need to be a part of a registration scheme - which is now an organisation called GasSafe. The registration organisation is only concerned about its own members, no one else.
    2. Those who do gas work for no gain.
      Need not be a part of a registration scheme.
    Competency is what you DO. The result.
    That is it. Simple.

3. meady

meady Member

Even if you get a safety certificate they still won't fill the benchmark meaning you have no warranty, and they won't register the install with gas safe either.

4. meady

meady Member

5. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

100% WRONG

Here it is again just for you......

The laws states that all who do gas work must firstly be COMPETENT. Then it splits into two:
      These need to be a part of a registration scheme - which is now an organisation called GasSafe. The registration organisation is only concerned about its own members, no one else.
    That is it. Simple.

100% RIGHT

6. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Hello Walter - see they've allowed you out on parole again! To be honest, I think we've missed you, this forum has become somewhat dull and you do at least brighten it up!

Listen up now, to work on gas you have to be competent. But the only way to demonstrate your compentency is by being GSR. Not my rules, but the HSE. So to touch gas you have to be GSR. Being paid or not to work on gas is a red herring, touch gas and you have to be GSR.

Any businesses that employ engineers to work for them (BG for ex) have to follow the same rules as the rest of us. Each of their engineers / fitters have to be individually GSR to demonstrate their competency (for which we have to pay an annual fee :oops:)

Now Walter, do go and run along back to the road sweepers forum where your compentencys seem to apply - clearly you are not GSR (but really good at cutting and pasting stuff on Intergas boilers).;)

Mr L, you do have a bit of a problem at least part of it of your own doing. You tried to save a few quid and have been let down. If you just want to know your boiler it is safe get a landlord check done (c£50). If you want the boiler guarantee registered that's a different story as the boiler manufacturer will require the fitters GSR number. I suppose you could pinch a number off a local guy but what happens when the boiler packs up and the repair guy comes and finds out it wasn't put in right.......You'll be in hot water.

Any one who signs it off for you takes full responsibility for the installation, that is the rules. So was it flushed properly, were all the flue seals properly in place, were the boiler fixing screws holding it on the wall all solid, is the gas run correct (sleeved, correct size etc) - the list goes on. So don't expect anybody to rush to do it for you and if they do expect to pay a days labour to do it at least.

You should shop your (ex) mate - he probably conning someone else at this precise moment.

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Walter, you still have not answered my entire post (you simply cut n pasted your previous incorrect answer) Do keep up Walter... Direct from the Gas Safe website,,
    (please digest the very last sentence. (I've made it bold just in case you miss it)

So according to Gas Safe it's not acceptable. ( I expect you to reply that not acceptable doesn't mean it's not illegal)

Anyway, can you answer the second part of my previous post please. How many British Gas employees (on the tools) are unregistered with Gas Safe in their own right? (and therefore working illegally according to the Gas Safe rules) Because both you and I know BG frown upon their fitters registering in their own name.

8. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

BZZZZZZZZZZZZ Wrong.

That is it. Simple.

9. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

You got it. "acceptable" is meaningless.

That is it. Simple.

I do not care about British Gas fellas.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  10. meady

meady Member

It may say that it is unacceptable but at he end of the same paragraph it also says both parties are breaking the law. Stop reading the parts you want to read and read all of it instead.

11. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

It is referring to working for gain (money).

That is it. Simple.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  12. joinerjohn1

Walter, whilst I appreciate your efforts at trying to appear clever, pure copying and pasting isn't particularly clever, especially when almost every post you've made contains exactly the same meaningless text.( it becomes ever so slightly boring) I suggest you contact Gas Safe yourself by phone tomorrow and ask for their view on "competency" If you disagree with what they say, then feel free to contact the HSE and ask their views on the same subject. You never know,, give them your email address and they could possibly send you something else you can then copy and paste on here.

PS the quote I made from the Gas Safe website, doesn't once mention whether it's for gain or not. (have a look yourself if you don't believe me)

Your own quote,,, and I do believe you are.

13. meady

meady Member

14. joinerjohn1

Waste of time Meady,,, Walter will be back on here tomorrow spouting his dangerous advice. Probably tell us the HSE is wrong, before copying and pasting his previous half dozen posts again. :p:p:p

15. meady

meady Member

It wouldn't surprise me.

I think he would still argue it if his mate came to his house, done some "competent work" on his gas appliance and it ends up causing an explosion putting him and his family in hospital.

I can see it know - " O don't worry mate you were competent and not doing it for money so it's fine"

16. joinerjohn1

17. Oh dear!

This forum still seems to be occupied by people like Walt who give totally false information!

For anyone who does not know, any gas boiler has to be notified to Building Control and this can only be done by someone who is Gas Safe registered OR by another registered person who reinstalls the boiler.

To support the warrantee the boiler has to be COMMISSIONED and the Benchmark completed. Gas Safe consider an uncommissioned appliance as being At Risk and should be turned off.

Gas Safe do investigate unregistered gas installations and at no cost to the owner. They will recommend that the HSE prosecute illegal installers.

I am one of the rather few Gas registered installers who will commission and/or reinstall boilers. That is the safest solution and will meet all the legal requirements, albeit at a cost.

If the OP has already paid the illegal installer then that was a pity. But he would have a firm legal case getting the cost of doing it properly recovered. Surely if he is related to the family then he has not disappeared for ever?

Tony Glazier

18. meady

meady Member

We've been telling Walt Disney this all night but he can't understand :)

19. cypher007

cypher007 New Member

hello Agile we seem to be following each other.

20. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Walts a wind up man guys, just ignore him.;)