Books and guides

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by madhatter1uk, Feb 17, 2016.

1. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I also have an old copy still BS7671:2008 but not amendment 3. However I no longer work so don't really need it, I am still a member of the IET so still get to go to lectures so got a good idea of the changes.

My On-Site-Guide is even older when I took my C&G2382 the new OSG was not published so never bothered. I do refer to BS7671 but don't think having the latest is really needed.

As to other books well I have (well my son has them now) my University text books but to be frank working out Thévenin's theorem is not something I do day to day, and in real terms I don't need to know, if I do need to work it out I will use electronics work bench or an on line tool.

If I need to look up Ohm's law then time to contact Alzheimer's Society and give up electrical work. I am sure there are people who do need to work using Norton's theorem but I can't recall using it once in my life time for a real problem. In fact don't know If I could any more.

Depending on the branch of electrics you are in you may need other books, I refer to the PDF guides for the Parts of building regulations but have never bought the full versions. I will admit some items are passed by word of mouth and I some times wonder where the rules came from. Be it drilling a beam 1/3 in or working out the volt drop on a ring final using 26A as design current I have never found where they are written down.

I some where have a copy of GS38 but that is hardly a book there are only 9 pages. However as to being up to date one I have is 4th edition the same with best practice guides I down load and read them however there is no update service so could be well out of date. So only book I refer to on a regular basis is BS7671:2008.

2. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

If your out in the field or on site it will not do me old china

3. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

I went in to get a book on suicide, but someone hadn't brought it back.......:confused:

madhatter1uk likes this.
  4. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Just received it .
    Yes it is worth the money.
    It has 208 pages.
    Have to look out for the errors though.:)

madhatter1uk likes this.
  5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Has the incorrect Zs table on page 125 been corrected yet?

6. PaulBlackpool

I have only Brian Scaddan's 16the Ed To compare. The B Type MCB values of Loop impedance, which are the only ones I am interested in , are similar but not quite the same.
    EG;- "16Ed" 6 amp 6 ohms, New OSG 5.87
    16------2.25 -------------- 2.2
    20------1.8---------------- 1.75
    32 ------1.12-------------- 1.1
    50 ------0.72-------------- 0.7 ETC.

Just rounding I suppose

but type 1 mcb
    6--------7.5 --------------- 7.28 ?

7. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

When you buy any book it always pays to look in the erratum or corrigendum section.
    RS

8. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Beat me to it Deleted member 11267
    RS

9. PaulBlackpool

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Don't do it people :)

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Paul and Dobs for the info

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  12. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

My mate got crushed by a pile of books, but he's only got his shelf to blame.......:rolleyes:

13. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

I'm losing the will to live, written by me. Everything I say is ignored.

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Hey, where are you? :eek:

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I got my one for a little less off of Amazon quite some time back..excellent little guide tbqh.

16. Neveryoumind

Neveryoumind Active Member

[QUOTE,="JP., post: 1431564, member: 5055"]I got my one for a little less off of Amazon quite some time back..excellent little guide tbqh.[/QUOTE]
    Agreed. I would call it an essential bit of kit, it literally tells you, step by step how to do your initial verification and the correct order of tests to perform. It tells you in real man's talk how to do the tests as well, they allow to use this book on your AM2.

I wouldn't bother with the big yellow book, it takes months to learn how to use it and even then it's open to interpretation, it feels like it's not designed to help or clarify anything

17. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I wouldn't bother with either if we didn't need them for part ****.

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select