Brexit

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by PaulBlackpool, Feb 22, 2017.

1. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Hmmm from your post it seems the only unskilled jobs going are from July to September picking potatoes. It also seems the only skilled jobs going are computer programmers. The whole point of my post was that we need to get the feckless back into work so we don't then rely on (as many) unskilled immigrants. What if we need skilled workers and indigenous Brits don't have these skills? We have to allow people with the skills the country needs. This doesn't mean we shouldn't be training up a skilled workforce. My personal view on education is that our education system should gear itself more towards vocational education. (or do you believe our schools are churning out a sh****d of unskilled feckless youths ?) Further education isn't doing much for the future either. Do you fancy doing a degree and when you finally chuck your mortar board up in the air, you're presented with a bill for £20 odd thousand +

Ohh, I thought we were presently ruled from Brussels? (Or did you think we're totally in control of our own country? )

2. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

"My personal view on education is that our education system should gear itself more towards vocational education".

So schools should be all about creating workers?

3. joinerjohn1

What else should schools be creating PJ ? When I left school, there was either work or further education, then work.. I can't think of anything else (apart from unmarried mothers with the skills necessary to operate a microwave oven or heat up an oven ready meal) ;);)

4. P J Thompson

I'll be idealistic again haha. I like the idea of school being about giving you a good basis in being a human being. I'd like school to be about helping kids become rounded, responsible, content adults with all the basic life skills in place. Don't get me wrong, I liked woodwork and metalwork at school, vocational stuff isn't something I'd wipe away...but...I don't know about you but I had no idea what I'd like to do with my life at 10. Or at 11, 12...Of course, some do and that's great but most kids? I don't think many kids that dream of being an astronaut actually become astronauts.

I'm all for apprenticeships and all for vocational further education. I'm also all for kids having the chance to try out some vocational skills but I think there's a real danger of us having our priorities very wrong if the pre 16 educational system becomes just about making workers. Because there's more to life than work isn't there. We need full spectrum education rather than a production line that churns out 'good workers'.

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Agreed, life skills are far more important, this will lead to common sense, that will get you further in life than lots of pointless exams, not saying all exams are pointless but some of the degrees out there are just comical.

6. joinerjohn1

Think about that for a bit PJ,, anyone who has a job is a "worker" This doesn't mean schools should be teaching "woodwork and metalwork " either. I agree a good all round education is important, but surely by year 10 (I'd have called that 4th year at secondary school) kids have a rough idea of what they want to do when they leave school. Schools should be picking up on this and encouraging the next generation workforce of the future.

7. P J Thompson

When you say that you think school should be geared toward vocational education, I get the impression you're saying that school should be about creating workers. It's just what I read from the words. And whilst I agree that some part of education should of course be preparing kids for life as workers (because the vast majority will indeed have to work), I just think that there's a lot more besides that that needs to happen in school and that it shouldn't be the main focus.

I just used woodwork and metalwork as examples of work related lessons I had, to be honest I don't think they even exist as separate lessons any more do they?

When I was a fourth year I was convinced that all I had to do was keep learning the guitar and it was a certainty that I'd be travelling the World in an Indie band. Things didn't quite pan out that way :D Though this said, the two of my lads that have left school did know what they wanted to do after school and are currently studying in areas that are definitely vocational. My youngest though, I don't think has formed a plan yet. I just don't know if most kids do know what they want to do with their lives at 14/15 or not. I suspect that the vast majority don't actually end up doing quite what they imagined though.

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

9. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

I predict that if the UK government reaches an agreement with the EU, the DUP and Jeremy Corbyn’s lot will insist on a vote on its content. That vote will be to reject the agreement, so what happens then? Do we remain in the EU? Do we walk away from the EU? (I hope so).

It’s worth noting that Theresa May was a mild remainer and her new cabinet comprises 7 leavers and 20 remainers. I strongly suspect a scheme is afoot to kill Brexit without anyone getting the blame.

10. I'm not going to reply.

11. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

because we never quite joined, we will never quite leave...................

Deleted member 164349 likes this.

12. Nor me, I have only just been allowed back.

13. facilities

facilities Guest

So then are you saying Brexit is just about immigration?

14. facilities

facilities Guest

Let's hope your wrong

15. What?! You've been sent to t'naughty corner?

I said I wasn't going to reply simply because it's pointless. I think even the most reasoned and rational and tolerant of SFers - btiw2 - has chust realised this.

I will still - gladly and pleasurably - drop in the odd comment on 'these' threads if it (a) amuses me and (b) shows up a particularity mindless comment.

(I've given up replying to standard mindlessness - that's become the norm for some on here. And I found I was simply posting too much to keep up with the intense stupidity of it all. I am more 'select' these days... :oops:)

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  16. Let's hope you're wrong.

(And I mean that as much more than a grammatical lesson).

17. Was it ever about anything other than immigration?

Really ?

Oh yes, the money for the nhs, that was the other thing !

18. joinerjohn1

It was of course a whole range of things. Immigration, control, money, laws. I do feel now though that Brexit just isn't going to happen (at the moment) and the EU is going to screw us over for even daring to hold the referendum in the first instance. I don't think that Brexit will ever go away though and will be returned to in the future. At some point in the future we will leave the shackles of the EU. Believe me, that will be very bitter and acrimonious.
    There are those on here who see the EU as a great institution. You know my views on it and these won't change. I do wonder who is really in control of the EU. I'm sure it's not 27 countries (and I'm sure most of these 27 already know that, or at least realise their individual countries just ain't in control of this monstrous bureaucracy . )

19. facilities

facilities Guest

Sigh if only De Gaulle had survived a few more decades we wouldn't be having this Brexit problem, kinda miss the guy

20. facilities

facilities Guest

Anyway according to scientists the first Brexit was about 450,000 years ago when we broke away from mainland Europe, since then that little strip of water has made us insular and non European and no amount of trendy pavement bars/cafe's that have sprouted in our cities over the last 20 odd years will alter that, so let's update our coastal defences and keep the Europeans who do not want to do business out (hard Brexit) and let's get on with governing ourselves and trading with whoever, that's where I stand anyway (hopefully DA will correct any grammatical errors herein)