Certifying Wok

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by frogger, Nov 22, 2014.

1. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If the circuit is not already rcd protected at the c/unit use an rcd fused spur Frogger as Spin said.

2. frogger

frogger Member

The circuit is already RCD protected at the consumer unit. ;)

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

In that case there's no need for the fcu if you're only adding one single or one double socket outlet.

4. frogger

frogger Member

I was going to install it via a switched FCU so I could isolate it from inside the house and have the fused protection because the outside socket has no RCD.

5. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

Having the FCU in the house is fine if you want to be able to isolate the socket as you say.. However installing the socket via a FCU has nothing to do with RCD protection, if you already have an RCD in the fuse board protecting the circuit you are adding the socket onto then the new socket will be protected by the same RCD in the board.

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

But if the circuit is rcd protected at the c/unit there's no need for another one, I often put a double pole switch in the position you're talking about, useful for isolating the outside socket if any moisture gets in anywhere and starts tripping the rcd!

FatHands likes this.
  7. frogger

frogger Member

I'm also interested in having a neon to catch my eye if it's on. Are there 20A D/P switches with neons? I've not seen any although they might exist.

8. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Yes there are 20A DP switches with neons, mostly used for immersion heaters etc.

9. frogger

frogger Member

Just looked on Screwfix after I made the last post and there's loads of 'em.:rolleyes: