CH Pipe work rework

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Jitender, Apr 29, 2016.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

The plumbers will laugh but hey ho. I tried yellow MAPP and no way could I get on with it (15-22mm joints ef) I found it very hard to judge the heat and sometimes the result was overheated joints..I went back to red which is my main use cylinder. However on joints 28mm and above, then I will use yellow MAPP.

Jitender likes this.
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have always prefered unleaded solder on CH, & only use the yellow mapp gas, never had a problem with any joints.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Before I had the mapp torch I used a butane one from Homebase for many years. Found it slow to heat up but never had any failures. Think you are right I may be overheating the joints that's why the flux is burning.

Will go back to the red canister.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Just one big favour Jit - can you let us know how you get on? - cheers m8

KIAB likes this.
  5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Will do, should be carrying out more plumbing next week.

Just finishing the room off now, got woodwork to paint then carpet to fit. About 3 days work to complete.

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Nice one Jit, seen your pictures of various works you have carried/carrying out, and its all good stuff m8..:)

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Practice with the mapp on some old copper, you only need a couple of minutes heat around fitting for the solder to flow & capillary action to work, but fittings & pipe need to be clean & not overfluxed.

It doesn't take long to learn to judge the heat needed with mapp, you cannot over heat a fitting.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Jitender likes this.
  8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Drop feed received 2 coats metal primer on exposed copper then finished using same colour as wall to match in pipework. Not going to box in the pipe as seem to blend in quite well and trunking would have to be formed to cover the offsett.

upload_2017-5-30_15-16-59.png

KIAB likes this.
  9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

A plant positioned in front of the pipes seem to hide it, no need for a cover?

upload_2017-6-7_13-19-45.png

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I don't reckon much to that yellow pattern on your curtains, looks like someone has written the date on them!

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

CH pipes in airing cupboard to supply loft.

Fitted with isolation valves (full bore) and drain point. This means that the upstairs circuit can be isolated and drained separate from main system

Joints all clean up and in position ready for soldering.
    upload_2017-6-7_13-28-22.png

upload_2017-6-7_13-41-40.png

CH pipe had to have off sett to clear the joist above. Larger hole made in plaster board to negotiate pipe in with attachments.
    upload_2017-6-7_13-38-7.png

22mm pipe brought up.
    upload_2017-6-7_13-28-47.png

Other pipe was hard, made up the joint on length of pipe beforehand as would be tricky to solder underneath the beam. A noggin had to be cut, but plan on putting another one in later.
    upload_2017-6-7_13-34-34.png

Pipe fixed with clips and on blocks of wood screwed to joist, rising it up like this means it was easier to solder the elbow providing greater access.
    upload_2017-6-7_13-29-4.png

Inspection mirror provides a way of checking behind joint so they are full. Used dry cloth so got burned when wiping the elbow!
    upload_2017-6-7_13-29-16.png

Attached Files:

KIAB and Dr Bodgit like this.
  12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Got the flux last week, been using it today on few joints. The photos before are all the joints using this flux with leaded solder.

Find it is very good and dont need to use much. Using mapp torch and putting the flame down, trying to listen to the flux bubbling

Made up this little holder. Always tired of putting the brush down and then it gets dirt picking up dirt :mad:

The pot was routed out with trimmer in small off-cut of floorboard. A small length of chrome pipe holds the brush. Pipe glued in with hot glue gun.
    upload_2017-6-7_13-43-29.png

Brush stored in holder keep it dirty and prevents flux getting contamined bring in dirt into flux and possibly joint failure.
    upload_2017-6-7_13-43-53.png

KIAB likes this.
  13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just finished adding the radiator in the landing area.

When working in the bedroom I tapped off from the 22mm runs and put a length of 15mm pipe with push fits.

Radiator was hung in position and packed out thickness of plasterboard and skim (15mm). Stud work in the stud wall were made up prior so that the brackets could be fixed to something solid. Floor barod were carefully taken up.
    upload_2017-6-26_13-31-44.png

upload_2017-6-26_13-31-24.png

upload_2017-6-26_13-31-32.png

Small length of copper pipe cut to lenght, ensured that the run had a fall, this helps when draining the system to avoid water renaming in the low bits. Valve compression nut wasn't tightened too much, so that floor board with drilled hole could be fitted over it. I could remove the olive an nut befor placing floor board over pipe.
    upload_2017-6-26_13-31-55.png

upload_2017-6-26_13-32-12.png

Joints were carefully prepped and checked before placing board over it, really should have done this at the same time when working in the bedroom, and could have made up pipework in one piece. Radiator now remove and stored for safekeeping until other works get completed. The original radiator came with defect so had to be swapped over from supplier.

This complete this project :D

KIAB likes this.
  14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Good improvement. Large double panel radiator in lounge is now getting red hot!