CH pump running constantly - sticky l/s(?) - sludge related?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by boca, Jan 29, 2017.

1. boca

boca Member

A year or so ago, I had this problem and called out British Gas (BG) under my Homecare contract. The fault cured itself before they arrived and he couldn't replicate it but advised a power-flush at several hundred pounds.
    I didn't take up this offer but did a manual flush.

The problem has now recurred :- pump runs 24/7 even when no call for heat from CH or HW. If/when I call BG, I suspect they may claim that this fault is not covered as I haven't taken their advice for the power flush.

Is it possible that this limit-switch faulty IS sludge related?
    Are there any tests I could do to prove whether it is a sticky l/s?

Thanks,

2. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

What boiler do you have? Do you know if the boiler has pump over run?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Power flushing is quick way to make a lot of money & isn't always the solution to the problem.

Manual flushing also isn't the best option,better off fitting a magnetic filter lke a Magnaclean Pro 2 , plus add some cleaner like Adey MC3+ or Sentinel X800 & let it run around the system for a week, more effective & will collect any crud disloged by the cleaner.

You only need to look at the various threads on this forum for peeps with similar problems.

http://community.screwfix.com/threads/power-flush-options.185243/

http://community.screwfix.com/threads/diy-powerflush.185238/

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Joe95 likes this.
  4. boca

boca Member

@leesparkykent & @KIAB:- thank you for your prompt replies.

@leesparkykent the Boiler is a 20 year old Ideal Classic; I am not aware if it has boiler over-run. The last call for heat was at 22:30 last night but the pump was still running at 08:00 ( and various times during the night)

@KIAB sorry for omitting the detail but the manual flush I referred to was with X800 being left in the system for about a week then topped up with x100 inhibitor.

The BG engineer indicated that he thought the limit switch on a diverter valve was not indicating the true valve position; IF there was sludge in the system, could it cause this symptom?

Thanks,

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A elderly boiler, pretty sure you would leave some crud behind, how much I don't know.but there a lot of knooks & crannies where the heavy crud can settle & when you drain the system it will get left behind.

As to limit switch on a diverter valve I don't know,not familar with that boiler, but I suppose crud could prevent the diverter valve to operate correctly, causing it to stick.

6. leesparkykent

What model is the ideal boiler?

7. Boca, did you drain down, refill and flush and refill and flush the system after the X800? Or is it still in there. Along with all the carp it dislodged?

And is this diverter valve one of these: 58520.jpg or is it built-in to the boiler?

If it's an external one like in the pic, then a good test is to turn orf the CH and if the pump is still running give this valve a good thump with summat hard but soft. See if the pump turns orf.

When you say the pump was still on, was the boiler also on? (Strange to have chust the pump running by itself...)

8. leesparkykent

That was my thoughts unless the boiler has pump overrun in which case the pump will be connected to the boiler rather than the orange of the valve.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. In which case would that discount it being stuck valve?

10. leesparkykent

Yeah and would lead you to think a component within the boiler like the over run thermostat. I asked the op the model of his boiler to see if it does have pump over run but no reply.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  11. boca

boca Member

Thanks all. apologies for the delay in replying .. please see responses to the various questions.

I cannot see any additional info on the boiler itself but the manual is for an Ideal Classic FF230-280.

After adding the X800, I drained down and refilled just once.

The diverter valve is in the airing cupboard and looks similar to the pic above

When the pump was running constantly, the boiler was NOT operating.

I had given the valves a sharp knock and, today, the system is behaving itself.

Thanks , Tony

12. Hmmm, so why wasn't the boiler running as well? Unless it had achieved max temp and the burner had shut down?

Anyhoo, see how it goes, and when it goes faulty again - as it very likely will - then thump it again. If that 'fixes' it again, then I think you've found yer issue... :rolleyes:

13. boca

boca Member

Hi, the boiler was off and cold but the pump was still running constantly.

14. That's the mystery, boca.

The way your control system works - should work - is that your Timer (programmer) first says "It's time to come on". That timer then sends its ON signal to the room stat (or cylinder stat for hot water) which says "Yup - it's chilly so the boiler needs to come on". The stat then sends that ON signal on to the motorised valve which moves in to the right position (CH, DHW or the middle for both) and trips a wee microswitch which then sends the ON signal to the boiler and pump. Which should then come on...

Each of these components cannot turn the boiler/pump on by itself - except for the motorised valve, because that component has it's own power supply. So if you were to manually move the motorised valve in to a CH or DHW position, then it could turn on the boiler/pump even tho' the timer said "NO!" and the stat "DITTO!"

So that is why suspicion falls on the motorised valve, one with sticky microswitches or other bits inside.

However, it is a mystery to me why it ONLY gets the pump running and not also the boiler.

Hey-ho. That's my understanding anyhoo.

Keep an eye on it, and be ready to thump it again if needed. Monitor whether this sorts it again. If it does, then I think that's pretty conclusive.

15. boca

boca Member

Hi,

after that initial "light tap".. the valve seems to have behaved itself.

Last week, I added X800 to re-clean the system. ( BTW, i added this by closing off one towel-rail rad, siphoning 1L from it then adding the X800... this means the x800 is straight into the system..... any reasons not to do it this way?)

When it comes to draining;
    do I have to completely drain the system to empty then refill ? Or can I open the drain and leave it draining while it also tops up? this then avoids the need to bleed air off and will avoid airlocks?
    If this approach is ok, how long should i leave it draining ( it's a 4-bed detached house)?

THanks

16. Thanks for the update - that's good news :)

As for draining, you don't chust want to get rid of the chemicals, but mainly all the sludge that's now in suspension.

Have you fitted a Magnetic filter at all? If not, I really think that's a big mistake - the cost is minimal and the benefits long-term.

What's more, you could then do what I do when it comes to flushing oot ma system: I remove the Magnaclean filter and attach a couple of 3/4" BSP male fittings to the valved connectors left on the pipes (I use washing machine valves for this as they are the right size but also they also have valves on them so I can shut off the flow when I disconnect them) to which are attached garden hoses. The 'return' pipe from the rads goes ootside (in to a bucket so's I can observe the water colour) and the 'boiler' side goes to a garden tap. I set it running until the water runs clear - yes, this takes a while.

The weird thing is, when I've finished this flushing and shut off the valves again, I find my pressure is still around 1 bar!

No bleedin', usually no topping up - and a completely clean system.

17. BigA

BigA New Member

I like this idea! Just fitted a Magnaclean 2XP to my system last Friday. No additional chems added yet. Will need to chem'n'flush at some point but don't fancy a full drain and refill as my system is <cough> "interesting". Hadn't dawned on me I could engineer a constant flow using the filter connections. Will need to keep an eye on header tank mind!
    Will investigate as think my filter connections are a little larger than 3/4"!!

18. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

You're a bloomin genius.

19. 3/4" fittings are physically quite big - more than you'd imagine - so chances are that's what they are. Compare them with a W/M hose connection - that's 3/4" BSP.

Ah, you have a vented system? Even easier to flush, then - it's as you say. (I wouldn't suggesting hosing it through like a sealed system simply 'cos I've no idea where the water would go!)

Yes, all you'd need to do is to open a drain cock at your lowest point - ideally you should have two of these, one on the flow pipe run and one on t'return.

Then chust keep an eye on your header tank to make sure it doesn't empty after a while and draw in air. If you find it's emptying too quickly, then simply close off the drain cock a bit.

Repeat on t'other 'cock. I think that would be enough to gently flush through the rads too. If you put the hose end in a light-coloured bucket, you can quickly monitor the water colour - it'll almost certainly start of dark brown.

But, really fit a Magnaclean regardless. :)

20. Yes, but this forum is for telling people things they didn't already know... :p

KIAB likes this.