Cooker/Hob Circuit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Sabretooth, Aug 1, 2017.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Concur Un - some things are just downright absurd, I mean does black and red cable carry electricity in a different way to brown and blue? Of course not.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I looked at the form and saw that exception bit. It's not a lot for new cable and need it for the house rewire anyway. Also I'm not going to argue with my cousin given how flexible he is for me to do the work under his guidance and him sign it off. Will pick it up tomorrow.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Nice one Sen..:)

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

In would have thought sleeved ends would be fine too.

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Myth. It is what kitchen fitters say. :) Why would removing a plug invalidate warranty? Ask the manufacturer of the appliance if you don't believe me. Please understand that appliances such as induction hobs are often required to be wired in by a fully qualified electrician.

seneca likes this.
  6. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Nothing wrong with using old colours.
    BS7671 requires the conductors at the terminations to be identified by either alphanumeric or colour.

seneca likes this.
  7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Agreed UP, it's utter b*****ks!

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Removal of just the plug, I agree. Removal of the flex too, unless it is indicated as being removable, could invalidate a warranty.

9. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Do you know what, the amount of electricians that have said that to me over the years beggers belief. Funny thing thing is though, none of them have ever actually bothered to read the warranty. But not surprising they are always "absent" when a customer makes a warranty claim, engineer comes out.............."sorry madam, the plug has been removed, better talk to your installer". And there is no "could invalidate a warranty" Pollowick, it absolutely 100% does.

It honestly makes me wonder about some of you guys ? Regs are regs, a warranty is a warranty......................if some of you actually bothered to read both in conjunction with each other then all customers could make valid warranty claims.

10. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Were only looking after the DIYers at the end of the day, cables (like SY flex for example) are Black numbered, give me a meter and ill wire the fkuer in

At least that would stop all the meddlin'

11. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Why would removal of a standard 13A plug invalidate the warranty? Give me a good reason - and I doubt if you can.

Many many appliances actually say something like "if you need to remove and replace the plug, ensure safe disposal of the one you cut off and ensure the replacement ins wired in t following manner ... "

seneca likes this.
  12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Agreed Pollowick, it's carp!

13. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I can't give you a good reason either. But every appliance that i fit states that in the warranty. Experience so far also shoes me that that all manufactures will quot the warranty when they reject a warranty claim.
    Now, just look at it from a customers point of view. They have paid an electrician to first and second fix the kitchen, they have paid me and my partner to fit the kitchen. When Neff/Bosch/AEG/Siemens tell them it's our fault........................who do you think they will believe when there oven/hob/microwave dosn't work ? All they know is that said oven/hob/microwave dosn't work and someone is to blame for why the manufacturer will not repair it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Concur Sen also - ''Cutting off a plug invalidates appliance warranty'' Absolutely preposterous waffle which more then likely originates through the grapevine.

15. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Did you even bother to read the post above yours ?

16. Joey__

Joey__ Member

Probably been sat in a shed for 20 years so you better get your hairdryer on the cable before you megger it
    I would just do the job properly and use new cable what is the point doing a bodge job?

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Sure did and a very good post it is Kit kat - however it does not change things one iota for me. Cutting plugs off so as the flex can go into an fcu or flex outlet plate will not invalidate manufacturers warranty, it goes to say however, that of course it must be wired correctly, and with ref to the flex outlet plate the mcb or what have you should be of the correct rating (it should be in any case)

Myself 99% of the time I will put a 13 amp socket in the housing etc and plug it in - care as to where you chop in the socket is important - otherwise the appliance might not push fully back..this has nowt to do with the manufacturer warranty nullification scenario.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  18. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Have to disagree there. Whilst I'm with you that cutting off a plug should NOT invalidate a warranty, it comes down to what a warranty is. Its an agreement, set out by the manufacturer, that offers certain protection against failure of the device. It is therefore subject to any and all clauses in the agreement irrespective how stupid such clauses may be. If a warranty clause stipulates that cutting the plug off invalidates the warranty, then it does and the manufacturer is well within their rights to refuse a claim (they may accept the claim too, its their call).

Don't confuse a warranty with a guarantee, quite different things.

19. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The regulations insist that the old colours should be supplemented by new colours by using tape or rings of the correct colour on the old cable. It does not contravene the regs by installing the old cable colours if they are appropriately identified with the new colours, and of course, the notice on the CCU about both colour systems being used. Just note on the EIC that both colours were present in the installation. Now I know some of you will take exception to this and tell me that I am wrong, but the bottom line of the regs is that you can use any colour for a live conductor except green/yellow, provided that it is correctly identified.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  20. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

BS7671 says cable with old colours can no longer be used, however if you put a sleeve over the cable it then has the new colours so can be used!! Also as has been said above, even if old colours are used, it could be stated as a deviation in the exceptions part of the form so I don't see an issue with using old colours. Non-compliance with BS7671 doesn't necessarily mean its unsafe, and as long as its safe it should be able to be signed off.

Oh but I'm using new cable anyway now.