CPC carrying live current, electrician says it is OK?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by M3dic, Feb 8, 2016.

1. nffc

nffc Active Member

Corrected that for you.

Simonslimline likes this.
  2. Simonslimline

Simonslimline New Member

Fair point regarding part P.

In reality though all part P has done is create money grabbing schemes who leech off of qualified sparks who just want to go about their work. The domestic sector is now full of wannabes that are "part P qualified" or whatever the hell that means.

Introduced for safety reason perhaps. Has it had that effect? Certainly not IMO.

Thanks. :)

3. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

nffc.......I agree with your 'opinion'.......nevertheless...certain electrical work undertaken by certain people can be regarded as a 'criminal offence' and I assume 'illegal'...and punishable under the Law.
    RS

4. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

It is dangerous.

5. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

It is actually uninsulated.

The sheath is mechanical protection and is not tested for insulation properties. It is simply to prevent damage to the insulation which is contained within it. There is no such thing as a double insulated cable.

So there is an uninsulated phase conductor, which also may be of a reduced csa and is also misidentified.

nffc likes this.
  6. retiredsparks

PS
    If the Op finds the so called sparks...he should kick his arris so far up between his shoulder blades that the BC inspector will be able to use him as a bike park....:p
    RS

7. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

There is nothing wrong with using T&E for strappers (preferably twin brown).

Just run a permanent phase to one switch in PVC/PVC single brown and a switched phase from the other one to the luminaire.

8. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

I am referring to the T+E being in use instead of 3 core and earth. .which is the only correct way

9. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

3-core & Earth isn't the "only correct way" - that is why it is known as the CONVERSION method. It is designed for converting 1-way switching to 2-way.

The more correct way is arguably the TRADITIONAL 2-way method - which involves T&E strappers between 2-way/intermediate switches, with a permanent phase at one end and a switched phase at the other. (It is also the most common way it is done here.)

10. retiredsparks

6181Y Double Insulated Cable 300/500V
    Batt cables.....the manufacturers.
    RS

11. sparky Si-Fi

3 core and earth is the easiest and most straight forward way on a new circuit to link switches on a two way arrangement, there are other methods of course

12. retiredsparks

So the 1 million homes built in the UK in the last 10 years have got it all wrong......using that rubbish 3core and E stuff....and that new fangled method............:eek:
    RS

sparky Si-Fi likes this.
  13. Would use 6241y not 6181y if I was not using 3 core and earth.

14. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I use twin cable a lot more doing 2 ways than I do 3 core. It all depends, 3 core is normally used if the remote switch is on its own or on a different level maybe. Just today doing a kitchen/dining extension I took a twin and earth for permanent live and neutral to a 2 gang switch and also a twin cable for a set of strappers. The twin switch will do outside lights and a 2 way for the kitchen lighting. If I didn't need a neutral at the switch I would have used 3C&E.

Doing it this way also allows me to wire the kitchen lighting from this switch which is nearer.

On another job I wired an intermediate switch with 2 pieces of 3 core and joined out the brown in a connector, it was also at this intermediate that I ran the live/switched twin from the pendant. You need to have the foresight to be able to see the best way to wire something, its not always as drawn in a text book.

PS using the CPC as a live is a **** poor way of doing things, bet there's no grommet in the box either, ends not doubled over and crushed so they are liable to snap at any minute. It is however pretty typical of the way the industry is going at the minute. Yay part P.

15. nffc

nffc Active Member

I would not say using the cpc as a live conductor was usual these days at all.

16. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

tbh people who replied on this thread (with exception of my mate si-fi) are too limp wristed with the facts. Wiring a light switch in this manner is very dangerous and should be given absolute urgency to correct it. The electrician who is saying there is nothing wrong with it should be reported to his company and to the governing body who his company is registered with. He is a disgrace to the profession. I found exactly the same situation on my current job and its being rewired tomorrow.

230V on a bare copper wire.

17. sparky Si-Fi

Roy me old mucker, thank god another spark has commented here

What on earth has happened on here of late is beyond me. ?

Nice to see some of the old members on here again. . .

18. There is no way the cpc can be used as a live conductor!!!! For two way switching you need 3core and cpc wire. Also, I would report this electrician!

19. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

NOT ALLOWED. thats sparks is a cowboy!!!! getem back and do the job properly, maybe a problem now thou

20. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

They can call it whatever they like but it doesn't change the fact that the cable is INSULATED AND SHEATHED, and NOT double insulated.