DA Orbital Sander advice please

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by BillS, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Oh gawd.... :rolleyes:

Look, Ms P, it bludy ain't 'of', it's 'have'.

Have, have, have, have, have.

You should HAVE seen me.

Repeat 20 times.

And never make that schoolgirl error again. :p

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Let the jigsaw cut at it's pace, don't force it, as long as you keep the base plate flat on what your cutting, you'll be ok.
    Practice on some scrap wood, with pendulum off first, then try with it on 1, then 2 & 3, to get use it, & make sure work piece is WELL CLAMPED & you wear your safety specs.

Never be afraid of a power tool, or it will bite you.:eek:

And keep your fingers behind the blade, seen more than one peep cut badly & cut off a digit:eek:
    And make sure it's switch off at the socket before changing any blade,

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

With pendulum if you want to cut a clean, non splintered cut use a fine toothed blade on 0 or 1 but if you want to cut quickly use a coarse blade on 2 or 3, if you are cutting tight curves use a scrolling blade on a low setting, if you are trying to cut a straight line you can clamp a thin batten to the workpiece and run the side of the base plate against it.

KIAB likes this.
  4. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

:D have have have have have have have have have have
    have have have have have have have have have have

Sorry ;)

5. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Bit like how you handle a bloke then?.....Sorry, I accept a slapped wrist. :rolleyes:

6. That's only 19...

7. miss pickle

Oohh good golly now I'm really scared :eek:
    Well clamped. How? I need a proper workbench then? I will have to look up how they clamp it :oops:

8. miss pickle

Thanks chippie. I will refer back to these notes on my first day of using it so thank you. I appreciate it. Very useful :) and definitely a need to know or could go horribly wrong.

9. miss pickle

:confused: Check again :D

10. miss pickle

Exactly how I handle a bloke malkie ;)

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

These are my favourite clamps, also do a 6" version.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-quick-grip-12-mini-one-handed-bar-clamp/98247

Put a wanted ad in Freecycle, Freegle for a workmate or two, can never have too many.:D

I have various 18mm ply tops, some 3'x2' another 5'x2' each with a batten screwed down center of board, so you can clamp them in a work mate, to make a temporay bench.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    chippie244 likes this.
  12. By 'well clamped', the work chust needs to not be able to move around as you cut it. It will want to vibrate upski and downski, and also slide around as you press your cut through.

So, if it's a small item/panel/sheet you're cutting, then - yes - it should really be clamped 'cos it likely won't be easy to hold it down manually.

As you become more familiar with using jig saws, you'll know when it's enough to just place your knee on the panel to hold it down, etc.

And - as explained by others above - don't panic, but do hold the jigsaw firmly down on the surface. And direct it forwards gently; feel it as it's cutting - it should be pretty effortless. You shouldn't ever have to force it forwards.

When you come to cutting shapes and going around corners, you need to keep the blade running and again gently persuade it to follow the path you want. Blades have a minimum radius they can cut - try and make them turn tighter than this will cause you problems.

Get some scrap panels and have a play - they're greeeeaaattt :)

13. No, you do...

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Jigsaws are pretty safe, they don't grab or snatch.

Gatt likes this.
  15. Cool, now how many times have I made you count them :p

(goes off to bed smugly...)

16. miss pickle

Haha! About 4 :rolleyes::rolleyes: lol

17. miss pickle

I will let you know how I get on. Thank you chippie :D

18. :D

'Night.

19. miss pickle