deadly bathroom

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by lady tenant, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

following your lack of maintenance logic - what would you rather have

an out of date fire extinguisher, probably no where near large enough, also not maintained, that only works if you can get to it, and of course that assumes you are actually in the house at the time - combine that with alarms without batteries

or a fully automated, mains water linked sprinkler system that could put out a fire, with minimal water damage, while you were in Costa del Sunshine, or while you slept through your alarms not going off because you used them in the TV remote

it's not at all preposterous it's progress

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Lady Tenant, Amongst all the banter;) Please let us know how you get on:)

Sean_ork likes this.
  3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

No pictures yet Teabreak -

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Go on admit it JP you're just hoping for a selfie in the shower:D

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Cable to shower damaged by screw for pipework or riser rail.

FatHands likes this.
  6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Ho hum - :D

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

:eek:

8. Zlodej

Zlodej New Member

Just the todays anekdote.
    Asian Customer requested me to put Wylex board, because at their bothers and mums houses when RCD keeps tripping repetedly they can oweride it by pushing trip inwards while lifting it up.
    SO I have put mine usual standard MK into a car and went to get a stronger build SquareD just in case...

9. The relevance of it being an Asian customer was...?

10. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Does such a beast exist?? How would a sprinkler system, once activated, know when the fire was out ??

11. Biochef

Biochef Member

I guess once the fireman or woman // person turns it off :D

12. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

of course they exist, vaporised water, or in droplet form is far more effective at extinguishing fire that the usual bulk water with very limited surface area as delivered by Sam, and it needs very little of it

you ask how does it know when the fire is out ? - if you can accept that the system can work out when there is a fire by using a combination of temperature sensors and rate of heat rise calculations surely you can figure out how the system works out when the fire has been extinguished

there's plenty of well proven domestic systems with BRE approval, good to see the Welsh leading the way

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

What's agent orange got to do it with it Sean? - do you work for Dow Corning or summit?..:rolleyes:

14. Zlodej

Zlodej New Member

Limited.
    I find that middle Asian customers are far more likely to be requesting brands based on family experiences or asking me to chose safety equipment in order to be able to override safety functions. However it was not ment to stand-out. The request they have made, was more important.
    I am a foreigner and see no reason to be scared of pointing people by origin as I get sometimes. I do not believe that calling people by origin is bad, even if I Get saved as Slovakian Electrician...

I just like the connection between your name and your message for the purpose of joke.

15. Zlodej

Zlodej New Member

Standard Apollo L2 panel can notice it so do some velux window pannells (I amjust fitting one) texeco alarm panels can reset or just simple relay keeping it on only while smoke alarm is armed.
    I have connected one of these alarms to honeywell gas interlock valve meaning it cuts gas if alarm is activated for more then 5 minutes

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The sprinkler systems I know are, heat breaks glass bubble, water runs out till some one turns off water.

17. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

that'll be the same as fitted in most commercial sites since the days of old

18. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Traditional sprinklers work by a heat sensitive glass ball shattering, water flowing (triggering flow switch and therefor alarm). The water is usually from stored and pressurised vessel, or direct from the mains. Often the pressurised vessel will have two pumps, one to keep pressure topped up during standby times, and one mother fecker pump which attempts to keep pressure up when many ends are open (hoses often share system). These pumps are huge, 250amp TP not being a huge one! Usually also diesel backup pumps.

Modern systems use a vessel and pump, but the pipework is dry, being flooded when the fire alarm sounds. The pipework feeds misters. They are meant to control fire with less water, and so cause less damage, less danger and less ground pollution.

19. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes, and it is only one sprinkler that activates, the one where the glass ball shatters, or does the release in pressure inside the pipe cause the others to fall out?

20. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

domestics use solder link fuses, which triggers the water valve rather than glass balls, glass balls needs to be exposed - domestic heads are usually recessed to the ceiling with a flush cover - and each valve is totally independent - the plumbing is usually just a ring off the mains if the pressure is adequate

there's no point triggering every valve within the house if the fire is just within a single room

it's a massively growing market, not just in Wales