DIYers strike again.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by peter palmer, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Anybody can get a trade point card even people who don't have a business, makes trade a joke!!! It right any body buying consumer units should show a registration number

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Agreed. The thing is will it ever happen?

3. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I wouldn't mind, the only time I have ever got anything cheaper with a trade card is when I bought a bit of wood. Hardly anything is any cheaper, certainly not cable and stuff like that, waste of time.

Sparkielev likes this.
  4. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Why should anyone expect a discount? It is something that is negotiated as an exchange - usual volume. Discount is only freely given on inflated prices - pick your own example from the sofa sales.

5. peter palmer

Well B&Q said "hey look at us we're not just retail we want to be a trade outlet so come to us and we will sort you out" and then just sold tried to sell us everything at retail prices. Like I said, waste of time. Same as screwfix, the electrifix prices are cheaper because they are plus vat in the catalogue, maybe a couple of pence off but nothing of any use, take the cable, scandalously expensive.

6. FatHands

I never buy anything electrical stuff from tradepoint but I agree, there is sod all difference on the day to day stuff. Massive discounts on the kitchens and bathrooms thou

7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Only buy certain things from screwfix trade point a joke

8. peter palmer

The fit bird that worked in the local Electrifix has gone on maternitly leave now so I cant see any viable reason for going there now, especially since the stuff is so ****.

Scotmac likes this.
  9. FatHands

Ha ha pete! The fit birds don't normally stay long do they

10. Neveryoumind

Neveryoumind Active Member

There's an absolute beauty in one of the Belfast stores, when I'm in, she asks "how are you today?" And I always predictability reply "all the better for seeing you" and so starts the flirtatious banter.
    I thought I was the bees knees, till I heard every other tradesman flirting with her, even the older guys, some of the lines they hit her with are cracker

11. FatHands

Ha ha I bet that branch has the highest sales in the area

12. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

i wanna know which store that is as some of the female staff in the bangor (thats bangor n.ireland not wales) could learn a few things as some are less than friendly (the sort got your money your order will be a few mins, next) tell you a robot ann robinson would be more social.

13. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Regarding diy sales,something will only happen when it affects an mp's relative or becomes a problem in London.I used to frequent another forum and when they brought out amendment 3 we did a bit of research.It was the London fire brigade who were instrumental in getting amdt 3 pushed through and to be honest it's totally Londoncentric in my opinion.
    We contacted a large number of fire brigades across the uk and requested information regarding the number of consumer unit fires,the figures we obtained were nowhere near as high as the London figures,yet the amendment was brought in! Incidentally London has a higher than average percentage of short course "electricians", anyone spotted the connection yet? Maybe if these "electricians" were taught how to tighten terminals correctly then the fires wouldn't be occuring,the consumer units in most cases cannot be blamed,after all,the same units that are catching fire in London,don't seem to catch fire with the same frequency in lets say Manchester,so to me it's obvious where the problem lies.
    The problem is that there are people with a hidden agenda,and they are more interested in making money than safety.I heard a well known spokesman for a large organisation,which I won't mention for legal reasons,state that he loves every change of the regs etc as he makes loads of money doing talks etc.
    Part P was rushed through after an mp's daughter was electrocuted,they did their best to crucify the electrician however,when you look at the case properly it was her husband who had fitted a rack and in doing so had damaged a cable,family had complained about getting "tingles"when they touched the rack,yet he did nothing about it.
    he'd fitted the rack in between 2 sockets,where it should have been obvious that there could have been a cable,but he failed to check.Regardless of the house wiring,whether and rcd was fitted or not,the death would not of occured if when fitting the rack he'd actually bothered to check if there was any cables in the location where he intended to drill.
    Several years ago I found myself in a similar situation,I'd done some work on a council house and everything was fine when I left,all I'd done was to connect up a boiler.The following morning I was sent back to the address as there had been a "near miss",apparently the tenant had received a severe shock! I arrived at the address to be met by people from the council,electricity board and various other agency's.They were going through my work with a fine tooth comb,it was made clear to me that I could be in a lot of trouble over this incident.In the end it transpired that the tenant,in attempting to do some diy electrical work had caused damage to a cable and thus received a shock,he'd kept his mouth shut about what he'd done,thinking he'd be in for some compensation.
    When it was all sorted out nobody appologised to me for the stress I'd been placed under and no action was taken against the tenant.They'd have quite happily hung me out to dry,but when I was cleared of any wrongdoing nobody cared anymore.

FatHands likes this.
  14. FatHands

Sorry to hear that Phil, that's well rough.

philthespark likes this.
  15. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Phil you make some valid points but your case is weakened by your omission that Amd 3 also tackles the serious problem of wiring in escapes routes. If I was responsible for the safety of firefighters I too would be campaigning hard to have something done after eight firefighters died doing their job. See IET Wiring Matters for more info.

16. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

I take your point and agree with you totally on that,but the consumer unit part is laughable,it's clearly an installation issue.

17. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Public execution would send a stronger message.

18. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I presume you mean two particular Regulations in Amendment 3.

There were a whole lot of other Regulations you know!

19. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

It could be said that it is a quality issue as much as an installation issue.

20. Neveryoumind

Neveryoumind Active Member

It's east Belfast, Ravenhill Road, I agree entirely with you on the Bangor store, it's awful