Education

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Harry Stottle, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

The first time I did any college lecturing just after I retired from my full time job, I had a class of 18 to 22 year olds who were hoping to become professional engineers. Most hadn't any chance at all, they just couldn't understand maths to the right level, simple simultaneous equations were lost of some of them and when I started talking about calculus, differential equations etc. only eight or nine knew what I was talking about. After exams I marked them as Distinction, Credit, Pass or Fail, the department head said I can't call it fail, I must marked them as "Not Passed"
    The upside is that I'm in contact with two of them, one is a bridge engineer, he's working in the Far East, the other is a girl and she's working for Airbus, so I must have done something right.
    I can't stand poor grammar either JJ1, when I was working some of my younger engineers weren't taught correct English and I made their letters/emails pass by me before they were sent outside the company, they just thought I was a picky sod.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select