Fitting consumer unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by quokka, Nov 23, 2003.

1. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

I think there's an "unless", or "except" in there.

The leccy board chaps join live cables in the street.

What do "we" do?

We take great care, of course.

2. MICC

MICC Member

Well I think its clear, we are not allowed to touch company seals, you have to notify the board if you wish to.
    Not sure how it works in a emergency and if the board prosecutes anyone, maybe someone from the board is reading and will let us know.

3. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

..............Awaits bombardment of replies from the supply companys :)

4. lensman

lensman New Member

Well I think its clear, we are not allowed to touch
    company seals, you have to notify the board if you
    wish to.
    Not sure how it works in a emergency and if the board
    prosecutes anyone, maybe someone from the board is
    reading and will let us know.

I was looking at having my meter moved a little while ago
    and had the Board in to quote for the job. Mentioned I was planning to move the CU while they were there and asked for any advice they had. The guys who came round said just to turn off the isolator and go for it (probably not the official line!). The isolator switch was wired down, so they said just cut the wire and carry on (I'm a DIYer, not a sparky) - I looked a bit reluctant and pointed out the notice attached about "contractors only", so they cut the wire for me and wished me luck.

I don't think this helps with the `official position' but I guess it indicates what the guys on the ground are likely to do if they come round and find the wire over the switch is cut - ie. ignore it.

5. supersparky

supersparky New Member

i should have asked the meter guy the other day, but conveniently i had left :(
    i think what they do is note it on their files eaxh time its cut, ie if its been in for 50 years, then its cut, they will just note it and reseal it, if they come back a week later and find its cut again alarm bells start ringing and they ask questions, there is no point them persuing on off cut seals because everytime it went to court the contractor would just state that its a grey area and the court would agree, then the leccy company are stuck with the cost, then times that by how many rewires are done each year in which the seal is cut, thats alot of cases....and money, if they can say in court "the seal was cut X amount of months ago, then we checked a month later, and it was cut again and you had no documentation or a contractor thet would vouch for you, explain yourself"
    then your in deep sh*, and the company knows it is 99%likly to win.........
    *falls off soap box*

BR

6. MICC

MICC Member

The problem with large corporations, there tends to be a difference in attitudes from the personal who attend.
    I have witnessed 'born again Hitler's to 'whatever you feel best man'

I still feel the EB should install a main switch at their cost to isolate a consumer unit, there would be no reason to break a seal.

7. sparky Si-Fi

On a lighter note, b4 part P**s-take comes in, if the owner likes his existing CU,he can knock off the isolator and take it with him when he moves house!.right all thats all for me got to go earn a living.

8. wowbagger

wowbagger New Member

I still feel the EB should install a main switch at
    their cost to isolate a consumer unit, there would be
    no reason to break a seal.

I replaced my CU last Friday. I arranged with NPower a free visit from Metering Services to pull the service fuse and later replace it. The chap arrived and said that since he was busy later on he'd install a 100A isolator switch so I could proceed at my leisure. Top marks to him.

This is in an Aquila area by the way.

9. sparky Si-Fi

This topic also bears resemblence to another post in here when we approach the boards regarding fitting an isolator,they ask why would you want to do that?.....well mate so I can muck about to my hearts content with no fear of endandering anyone until I throw your isolator and stand back!

But to sum it all up,yes I agrre with most,it would be beneffical to include an isolator during the seal break,and apologies to all if my typing goes astray!

10. sterose

sterose New Member

Hey, ban-all-sheds, are you the same one of diynot.com?

Anyway, you can clip the seals yourself - I did when i put my shower in, i clipped the one on the main fuse and one on the meter.

But either way, i suggest leaving it to a sparky because its not easy to do (putting in the CU, that is... its very easy to clip the seals....

11. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Hey, ban-all-sheds, are you the same one of
    diynot.com?

dat's me.

12. supersparky

supersparky New Member

how many of thes message bords are there or are these 2 the only 2?

BR

13. MICC

MICC Member

I have a sneaky feeling you work for B&Q!

14. gav

gav New Member

not easy to do,,? ? ?

it aint rocket science

pay attention to detail

mark all cables as you remove them from the c/u

how can it go wrong ?

ps ,i cut my seal 6 weeks ago an my main fuse has been in and out more times than a sailor at a brothel

wonder what the leccy board will say when they come to put a new seal on,lol

the meter that is fitted at the moment is a card meter (the house has been rented out in the past) now refurbing for my own use.

i have been informed that a card meter keeps a digital record ,every time the power has been disconnected,,,anybody know if this is true ?

but what the hell,i wouldn't dream of extracting electricity ( ex copper )

in my eyes ive done nothing wrong,nothing dishonest,,but was not going to risk my life for a bunch of jobsworth's lol

15. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

how many of thes message bords are there or are these 2 the only 2?

No idea - don't know of any others, but I'd be v.surprised if there weren't any more.

Q - is there enough intelligent life to support more than 2?

16. sparky Si-Fi

Does any one know the record in here for the number of replies to a topic?................as we are now on page 3,so where is the lovely lady then?