Floor joist question any help would be great

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by antony1987, Jun 18, 2014.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You need steel and a structural engineer.

2. Mbile66access

Mbile66access New Member

I was considering steel, having used it before on an extension. This time I thought I would investigate a traditional structure given that the main house is over 250 years old. A Structural Engineer is a good idea, thanks, I advise a number of them on Sewage and Water pump systems - may get a freebie! Thanks for the constructive advice....

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

4. Mbile66access

Mbile66access New Member

I want to place joists across a 6.2 metre span. The Garage will be 8 metre long so I will be working on 400mm centres between joists. I was asking what size joists I should use given that the joists will support the floor of an office above the Garage. I agree that trusses will be required for the roof......thanks

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Unless you get into mahoosive joists you aren't going to get that span so you need steels so you need an S.E not advice off a forum

6. Mbile66access

Mbile66access New Member

I was trying to keep the height down by just using joists but you are right steel is the way to go....thank you

7. Mbile66access

Mbile66access New Member

At about 9.40 last night I took the advice given by Chippie244 and sent an email to PDRD Steel structures in Herefordshire asking about a steel frame. Not only did I get an immediate reply but also some further sound advice and a best 'Guesstimte' quote. Drawings have gone to them this morning and I await their firm quotation. Thanks to all here for your input.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You're welcome.