"Fugenboy" with/without masking tape ?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Trialbywater, Aug 22, 2008.

1. debit cruncher

debit cruncher New Member

Debit, do you have a link to the tool that you use?
    <u>_________________________________</u>

www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/info_silicone
    This will sort your little sticky fingers out bathstyle.
    ;)
    Worth the money just to see for yourself, better than the "fugenboy" as a lot more flexible. You will never go back.

2. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Ahh, that's the same kit I have!!

If you say you can do a three way corner with that I will say .........* :)

I've not really used my kit, I get perfect results with my finger

[Edited by: admin]

3. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

finger for me every time. A good silicone helps to get a good finish. i use forever white as it is nice and thick

4. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I tend to use dow corning. The ever Build stuff isn't too bad but I did try the stuff from Wickes not so long ago as I was stuck, it used to be quite good, this stuff was horrendous, I couldn't use it, too runny

5. chip off the block

yeah i have used some stuff like that. its terrible trying to smooth it down when it is like milk. I did use some wickes sealant that was completely translucent and had a smell like solvent cleaner and stuck to everything

6. debit cruncher

For use it's the mapie or bal silicones, they are always a great match for the grout. But never use them on the sanitaryware.... would look as bad as a finger pulled silicone joint ;)

7. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

My tilers always go for Dow Corning or Mapei, those are the favourite brands.

8. Barn Raiser

Barn Raiser New Member

For years it has annoyed me that a client could spend 20f on a new bathroom and then the silicone would ruin it.
    I was in berlin 2 years ago and saw in my frinds bathroom th perfectly tooled silicone joints. (sad I know.) I was determined to get these results in the uk and asked around in berlin tile/bathroom hops. The fugenboy kit is excellent and the results you can get with it with care and mapei silicone are amazing. I can now do silicone joints that an architect swore where not silicone but a bought in plastic or rubber bead.

The finger method is with patience OK and the results are passable but touch and go. Leave the finger tooled joints for the council jobs. Tooled joints are the way to go. No argument. You cannot compare them. If you say otherwise stick to fitting boilers and leave the fine work to someone else.

9. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I disagree, people who are not skilled working with silicon will use tools but skilled tilers nearly all use a wet finger and achieve tip top first class straight, smooth parallel edges.

I have no problem with anyone who chooses to use tools, it's just that I can do a much better job without them.

10. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I would bl00dy love to see a three way internal corner done by a fagendboy kit. Impossible

11. debit cruncher

Sorry it not, but you can do it in two minutes. granted. You just move on to another part of the room that needs silicon. As for them being for less skilled, well maybe its progress, for years i used my finger and it looked good but for a crisp, sharp, professional finish its the tool for me.
    By the way how many diy'ers use tile trader, cause that's the only place i have seen the good ones.;-)

12. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I'm gonna get my siliconing kit out on the next job and report back, it's not had a real test

13. debit cruncher

sounds like a convert....in the making;-)

14. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I'm open to anything, I must admit, the German siliconing is second to none

15. Barn Raiser

Barn Raiser New Member

bathstyle, I am just saying give it another go, I can get really nice finger tooled joints too but was amazed the results I could get with a fugenboy fit, and with not too much practice.
    I am sure that if you can get excellent finger tooled joints when you go onto the fugenboy you will be overjoyed with the results as I was.
    I can't tell you how excited I was with the results !!!
    The small tool is the best I have found. Granted it is hard to get an inside corner and it can take longer than a finger.
    But I say again give it a go because the personal satisfaction of getting killer silicone joints is great. I have never been able to equal the finish I get when going back to my finger.

Sure the unseen less important joints use the finger method but around the bath and things its a must for me now.
    Ps I use the 'easy mask' painters brown tape with about 1/2" gummed edge to run down either side of the joint I am about to tool. Its good stuff.

16. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I will be sure to try it and give an unbiased review of the two methods, Firstly the crappy silicone tools and then the superb finger joint ;)

nah, seriously, I shall report back :)

17. ecm

ecm New Member

The guy's we have on site, who come in just to do the siliconing, just turn up with a spray gun filled with diluted fairy liquid, a big rag and a wet finger.

18. chip off the block

if they are anything like the guys i have seen that come in and silicone up then they are ruff as. both methods are good as long as the end result is the same. i think i will try 1 of these kits to see what the fuss is all about but think i will revert to finger in the hard to reach areas

19. GKU

GKU New Member

"but think i will revert to finger in the hard to reach areas"
    <u>_________________________________</u>

:^O :^O - LOL

20. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

Personally I have FUGI kit,I achieve excellent results with it obviously with a little help from some soapy liquid even though in the instructions it says you wont need it.
    Alot of times though i still use the wet finger method no masking tape and some soapy liquid,the important thing is to get the bead of silicone right with good quality sealant gun not one of them cheap and nastys.and the silicone must be of superior quality
    We all have our own methods of doing particuliar job and as long as you are achieveing excellent results consistently then its worth sticking to.Sometimes though new technology is worth looking at and not writing off without trying it.
    or we can be like the plumbers forum and B.i.t.c.h like mad about nothing.Personally I dont think its worth wasting energy on negativity live and let live!