gluing plasterboard to brick with solvented adhesive--fumes

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by maria2017, Jul 14, 2017.

1. maria2017

maria2017 New Member

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I'm surprised you still have a smell. yes of course driwall adhesive will do the job. If you only need a small amount no problem. If you need loads the problem is you need the kit to mix it up - it's heavy stuff - trying to mix 25kg of powder adhesive in buckets without a professional mixer is tough. The foam adhesives like instastick don't smell and are much easier to use in small areas - just like the video - squirt and stick.

3. maria2017

maria2017 New Member

Thank you. Is is only a part of a wall of 1.2x1.5 m^2, even less.
    I am afraid to go for anything that seems chemical...so thinking drywall adhesive is the better option. will it dry quickly? How soon can I paint after that?

btw, it was valspar in the first place

tank you

4. If they had not been so lazy and just rendered and set the wall, you would not have had all this trouble.
    The job would have been fully completed by now, and no smells, also a better job.

5. maria2017

maria2017 New Member

Would there be a problem if a continuous layer of drywall adhesive is applied instead of just dots?

Thank you

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Yes - the idea of using dabs of drywall adhesive is that they can be tapped down so that the plasterboard is level to where you want it to be - the dabs expand into the spaces. If you use a continuous layer and put on too much you will never get the plasterboard to tap into place, and if you put too little on it will be too low. Put a continuous bead around the edge, especially in the corners and dabs at approx 300mm centres and all will be good.

7. maria2017

maria2017 New Member

Thank you. I was thinking of a continuous layer to make it more resistant . Our plasterer also seems to suggest that. Would it dry much slower in that case?

Thank you very much

8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

No, it'll dry at the same speed. Watch the manufacturers youtube how to dot n dab

9. maria2017

maria2017 New Member

thank you very much