Hall Landing - old gloss new gloss - water oil based.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by JohnA79, Aug 25, 2016.

1. JohnA79

JohnA79 New Member

I have stripped my whole hall and landing and every architrave - the upstirs doors are gloss oil based decorated 2 years ago the downstairs now bare wood.

Because some rooms were decorated prior to others - they have glossed architraves on the inside edge then bare wood on the casing.

I now want to paint using water based gloss and have started to undercoat the bare wood with water based b and q trade gloss undercoat.

How do I blend or where do I end the cross over of the new water based gloss to the old gloss on the inner architraves.

The doors upstirsa are old gloss oil with now bare wood architraves on outside and casing but then oild based gloss on the inside of architraves.

What will water based gloss look like on architraves next to oil based gloss doors.
    Should I maybe lightly sand the doors and architraves ove the oil gloss then match the waterbased gloss on the architrave to doors.

If this wasnt a hall and landing then this wouldnt be so hard the problem being 8 doors from already decorated rooms entering in to hall landing.

After spending 2 years burning off paint of every door spindle architrave id like now to get the end result good.

thanks All

John A

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

2 years preparation and you choose B&Q paint!o_O:eek:

DIYDave. and KIAB like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek::eek::(:(:D:D

Nothing I can add to that....:)

Astramax likes this.
  4. JohnA79

JohnA79 New Member

Oh man I'm not a decorator I've truely sinned. I thought any old undercoat would do. I've not bought the top coat yet. So I'm open to advice to redeem my mistake.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Water based gloss will be far whiter than the oil based especially after 2 years, finish the water based gloss on the face of the door stop where it meets the door. Crown 'Fastflow' is the one being pushed at the moment and flows out very well compared to other makes, you would be best advised to treat yourself to some really decent paint brushes that are better suited for waterbased paints such as Purdy Monarch Elite Synthetic Brushes (maybe try online for a competitive price). Crown Fastflow is made up of a Quick Dry Primer/Undercoat and Quick Dry Gloss.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Well it's like this....... decorating in my house goes on the back burner....have enough of it during the week....one day it will get done!

8. JohnA79

JohnA79 New Member

Thanks for the advice - I have ordered all the items - ordered paint online and read the reviews from trade. - I'll update in a week or so when I have tried it out -

9. JohnA79

JohnA79 New Member

I have so far done the picture rails and emusioned ceiling this paint is pretty amazing the results on ttop of the band q cheap undercoat are stunning it has a dull shine and feels to the touch like old gloss.

thanks

John

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You using that Crown Trade Fastflow gloss?

Just order some myself for woodwork here.:)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  11. JohnA79

JohnA79 New Member

yes its superb

KIAB likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good to hear, as I ordered 15ltrs of it for doors, woodwork, most likely will need some more.:)

Astramax likes this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yeah told ya it's the one :rolleyes::D

KIAB likes this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

15 litres...... are you painting a warehouse or aircraft hanger?

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Might have gone overboard abit:oops:, but I have 11 doors to paint both sides with 2 coat to a side, plus all woodwork throughout the out house.:)

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

This stuff goes a long way....5 litres tops......oh! also Fast Flow can go over metal as well?

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

4" Mohair roller:cool:

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Dampened prior to use!:eek::D

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Purdy brushes ....goes without mentioning of course!:mad:

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got some Wooster mohair roller sleeves,& a couple of Purdy Parrot Mohair 4" roller sleeve (never used these before:eek:), will I need to brush out paint as well, or roller enough for fine finish.:)

Got Purdys brushes, my favourite.:)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016