Help Please - Driveway

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by dhivach1, Apr 7, 2017.

1. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

please, whatever you do, ensure everything is in writing with the contractor. This has all the hallmarks of having to employ someone else to sort the job and to claim compensation via the courts. keep everything in writing from now on so you have the evidence if you need it. If you don't then great but if you do, you'll have it

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  2. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Thanks everyone. I originally contacted trading standards who say they don't deal with this type of thing and told me to contact citizens advice. They provided a link of a form to fill in, so that's there if needed. He has replied to my message where I asked what their solution is but he wants me to call, but as you say, want to get most of his bullsh£t written down.

Hubbie called him today and basically said the only solution we would accept would be to re-lay the whole drive. So far he seems agreeable but who knows!!

3. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

I would be inclined to call in an independent surveyor or somebody from building control

4. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Forget citizens advice, your route is small claims court if it comes to that. The CAB will probably help with that but the small claims court is your legal backstop

5. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Did a job for a lady other day builder started an extension for her took her for £30,000 she tried everything to get money back to no avail, she had to borrow money to get job put right and finished, she now in a situation where she may have to sell house, only this country can people get away with **** like this

6. Yep, only in the UK. Nuts man. What's the world coming to. Full of scum. Everyone's an arris. etc etc etc.

7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Not really just some people but they tend to get away with it, take that carp program builder's from hell Dominic ******* runs around all program and for what to tell them off

8. Calm down - it ain't happened yet.

Sparkielev likes this.
  9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just to get a better picture is it possible to upload whole of driveway.

Looking at falls, is the paving falling towards house etc.

Were any drains fitted i.e ACO drains.

10. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Morning, got in touch with Building Surveyors Officer who also agreed with you all but all he could do was recommend getting in touch with a RICS Surveyor (which I did). Jitender - the drive actually looks as if it does not run towards house (good thing) but no drains were fitted. I explained to BSO that that side of the house does not tend to get too wet, just where it is positioned and a slight overhang of roof, but he did mention the splashback and also lying snow.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Parents are having a driveway done as well, used local builder.

Seem to be making basic mistakes.

fitted ACO drains, instead of knocking out the bottom outlet someone cut it out with a saw, furthermore they didn't connect using pipe connector, just cut a slot out in the pipe, put water down channel today and most of the water falls behind the pipe instead of going into the drain. The pipe they originally used was perforated ducting pipe.

Toady they put a inspection chamber access cover on, but don't think its graded for driveway use only pedestrian. Looking at sources domestic driveways need to be graded for 10 tonnes, and all the one I have seen are at least 100mm depth, the one that is on now is only 50mm deep, having it tarmacked in that area.

Worst part is trying to tell them that its not right because they don't like being told its wrong.

12. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Update - well after kind of agreeing that drive did need lowered, have had no contact from him!!! Local surveyor wants £600 to write a report . Guess next step is to write a letter as advised earlier, giving him 2 weeks to sort out. First of all do I advise him in this letter that if its not done then small claims it is, also can we sue for the cost of another company fixing it or would we need to do that first then claim, which would be a £££ problem. Thanks