I think I've been a bit daft with my extractor fan, any advice please?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Karen McCann, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Karen McCann

Karen McCann New Member

I honestly have no idea about any of it. I used to have a double switch outside the bathroom, one which was for the light/extractor and one which was to operate the hall lights from upstairs.
    I got the main light taken out and now have spotlights and a light in an alcove and now have a treble switch outside. One is for the spotlights, one for the alcove and as before 3rd is for the hall. I'm not sure if this answers your question mind!
    Edited to add there was always an extractor with that big switch there

2. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

Did they possibly just forget to give you a switch for the fan?

Either ways it's not your fault that an electrician left you without a switch.

Karen McCann likes this.
  3. Refuse to Bend

Refuse to Bend Active Member

The big switch is an isolator and due to it's location wasn't intended for functional switching. They have made a serious error and the onus is for them to correct it. Were they actually electricians or fitters come builders.

Karen McCann and Alan22 like this.
  4. Karen McCann

Karen McCann New Member

I don't think so, he just said that's how you turn it on and I was a bit overwhelmed with all the information and wasn't until later I thought how (he was 6ft odds)

5. Karen McCann

Karen McCann New Member

No they're quite well known locally and have a good reputation. They're a plumber, tiler and joiner team but the electrician comes to do all the electrical work (and I saw his van etc when he came)

6. Refuse to Bend

Did they give you Certification as this is almost certainly notifiable under Part P of the Building Regulations. If as you say it was an electrician then I would have serious concerns over their competence.

7. Karen McCann

Karen McCann New Member

I did get some paperwork, I'll have a look tomorrow. Just feel a bit of a fool right now tbh.

8. Refuse to Bend

None of this is your fault they are supposed to be professionals and conversant with current requirements. Make a complaint your fan does not work and you don't know why.

Karen McCann likes this.
  9. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

I think an electrician that somehow doesn't notice you won't be able to reach the switch is not thinking right, or put the isolator in and couldn't be bothered adding the switch.

10. Karen McCann

Karen McCann New Member

I'll call them on Monday and let you all know the outcome but thanks so much for all the support, it's much appreciated. They have premises near me and I know loads of people that have used them, going back over a decade.
    I'm feeling sorry for myself and thinking it's maybe because I feel some folk (not all!) see a woman on her own and think she's a soft touch. Need to pull myself together and get it sorted, thanks again

Refuse to Bend likes this.
  11. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

@Karen McCann

That is an Xpelair DX100 which is availabke in many variants - switched, humistat, pull cord, humistat and pull cord ...

The EASIEST and CHEAPEST solution is to get the installer back to change ot over for a "Humistat and Pull Cord" version ... https://www.xpelair.co.uk/product/s...ial-extract-fan-kit-humidistat-timer-pullcord

A simple pull cord form the hole on the bottom left. No rewiring, no tiles rmoved or damaged.

Ask they to change it over at their expense - they might want to charge for a new fan, but they will have a use for te old one anyway .