Jontex High Build Masonry Paint Experience?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Powergen, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Powergen

Powergen New Member

Hi,

I have a concrete blockwork garage which I need to tidy up to sell my house. Rather than have to pay thousands which I don't have - to get it rendered (I've had quotes and it's thousands). I've researched alternatives and Johnstones Jontex high build masonry paint looks like it'll do the job. I've spoken to Johnstones and they say I just need to prime the blockwork and then apply the Jontex. So I go to my local paint shop to order it and the guy there says 'that'll be a nightmare to apply'. I'm doing it myself so this doesn't give me much confidence.

So, my question is, does anyone have experience in applying it (or similar high build paint) - is it a nightmare and do you have any tips? I have a 'carpet' roller to apply it but think that a thick pile roller might do the job too. I'm aiming for a tyrolean type texture on it if I can to match the house, so need to have a play around with how to get a suitable finish before I start anything.

Thanks very much indeed :)

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

3. Powergen

Powergen New Member

Hi Sospan, thanks for the reply, I had already searched the forum and read through that thread (and searched the internet for any info from elsewhere too) but it didn't really say what the paint is like to work with generally. There is a youtube video made by another hi build paint co where they make it look really easy to apply their product (albeit onto a piece of board in their teaching room) but the comment from the guy in the paint shop about it being a total nightmare to apply has got me worried so was looking for people who had used it and how they found it. Thanks again. :)

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

No problem, I have applied plenty of textured wall paint over the years but never that product. I had a hunt around the internet for problems and issues with the product and couldn't find anything. Only a few minor gripes about getting a smooth finish - but it is textured paint ...

I think maybe you had some misinformation from the guy in the paint shop - but then if he sells / stocks it why would he tell people it was difficult to use ? Bizarre

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. Powergen

Powergen New Member

That's what I find odd too Sospan. As well as the fact there really isn't alot online anywhere about the product. My only thought was that - as a woman, he perhaps thought I was some dumb blonde who didn't know what she was doing and his comment was based on that. Having spent the last 20 years being a pretty keen DIYer, hanging doors, putting up coving, tiling etc I figure I'm capable of doing this job myself. Also makes me think I might go elsewhere for the next batch I need, rather than order it in from him if that is what his problem is!

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

My wife whom is 4ft 11 has the same problem with condescending staff at builders merchants and hardware stores. Soon puts them right though - small is size but makes up in vocal volume.

Having done your homework and with all your experience you seem more than capable of doing the work and getting a good finish as well. Hope it goes well

KIAB and Powergen like this.
  7. Powergen

Powergen New Member

I like it that your wife is fighting for the rights of women DIYers the same as me. So much for thinking I'd support my local paint shop, instead I'll get it online from some faceless company who can't furnish me with sexist comments. I'll let you know how I get on with the job Sospan and I may well pop back into the local paint shop after it's all done and tell them (fingers crossed) how great it all turned out. Thanks for all your help :)

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That is something that I find so infuriating in building,decorator,plumbing & other merchants, & it really pi***s me off.
    When I started out, you use to see it, & 35 years later it is still rife, still can't understand why merchants are considered a male domain,some females are very capable,knew a female plaster & she was very good at her trade.

Slightly off topic, I get the same treatment when I venture into craft,knitting,haberdashery shops for me mum or sister, they treat you like you have the plague, but their attiude totally changes when they find I'm rather capable & knowledgeable with sewing & various crafts, & can easily hold my own.:oops:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

No problem, please come back and keep in touch on the forum.

PS When you have finishedt take the empty paint cans you bought elsewhere to the paint shop and do the "you wouldn't serve me, huge mistake" scene from Pretty Woman :D

10. Powergen

Powergen New Member

It really does stop alot of women trying to do things themselves when they get treated like this, luckily I've got enough experience to hold my own and usually go straight in and ask for what I need to try show I know what I'm doing rather than have a look around the shop and wait to be asked if I 'need any help, Love?'

I'd assume ladies who work in haberdashery stores would think a chap going into their shop would either be looking for their wife or was lost. Funny how these stereotypes still hang around for some people. At least you'd not be put off going in there again, unlike a lot of women in these situations. Maybe I should start a womans DIY shop.

11. Powergen

Powergen New Member

Ha ha, if I do I'll video it and post it on here for you Sospan :)

12. Hi Sos.

Which brands have you used, and what textures did you aim for?

I'm looking at a fine-ish texture - any hints?

Ta :)

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Used the usual Sandtex and Weathershield to cover pebble dash and rough cast finishes. Down here, I prefer to use the Bedec products on smoother render because of the weather coming off the sea and we have a lot of ground movement so it is prone to cracking. The Bedec products cope well with movements and leaves about a good a surface as you can get with render.

I have sandstone and redbrick as part of my front wall and when I sanded them down and applied the Bedec paint. After a few coats it feels like gloss paint.

I used to use Johnstones Weathershield but found it very watery and just went everywhere, which was no fun on a ladder in a sea breeze - everything got covered as well as the walls

The Sandtex build up paints are like covering a wall with runny porridge :) The good thing is they can distract your eyes from some horrible block work. The finish is like when someone drags a brush over wet cement.

What is it your going to cover ?

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Used the Sandtex High Build on a job last year, I put it on with a caulking tool and the used a Sandtex roller to apply the finish pattern which was a cross between tree bark and Tyrolean. Had to work fast though as it dries quite quickly.

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Not bad stuff, used it on the inside of a few garages to smarten the up, not the best finish in the world but hides a multitude of sins :D

16. Cheers, gents.

It's for the house walls - these were smooth-rendered decades ago, and the surface now shows the different levels of different paint layers from over the years. I also don't like it toooo smooth/flat which is what it's like at the mo', so the differing paint layer levels do show up a bit.

Our recent garage was rendered and finished off with a sponge so has that light 'gritty' surface. So I'm ideally looking for summat a wee bit more textured than that - enough to disguise the paint layers a bit but not to be too obviously textured.

How much comes down to the high-build paint used and how much to the roller used to apply it?

Cheers.

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The roller was a Sandtex product quite dense hard foam which had holes all over it, did a good job too.

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There is the Sandex fine textured which is too smooth or too lumpy - sounds a bit like Goldilocks

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You tube has a video using the roller on High Build.

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

At least the answer won't be Zinsser this time :D